Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Compile VICE in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO: Compile VICE in Dapper, Edgy and Feisty

Hi all

I got mine to work also. 1-22. I compiled the regular one and the gnome-ui one.

But the gnome-ui version won't properly stay at a regular window size... it's always shrunk to the size of a pencil. I can drag the border of the window to resize it bigger, but that's annoying to do all the time.

Any ideas on a fix for that?

Not sure. I haven't compiled the gnome-ui one, so someone might have to experiment and give an idea.

Is there any kind of VICE configuration file that might hold screen size settings? I'm thinking of something like the .leafpad file that's made by Leafpad, and includes a height and width setting, so it returns to its former size when its restarted. Probably a long shot, but I thought I'd suggest it.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

it must have been a setting in my ~/.vice/vicerc file because I deleted it, and re-installed.

Now it's okay.

edit: and let me say, I love the gnome-ui version much better than the xaw one.

Beans

Great post. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to reminisce for a few months I'm sure. Already grabbed The Final Cartridge 3, and TASM. Now if only I had a HardSID..... scrolltext anyone?

I wonder if VICE will ever add Kaillera support......

I'm going to make sure this works on Gutsy tomorrow; I can't imagine why it wouldn't, but it's always good to check. Watch this space.

Looks like 1.22 behaves predictably under Gutsy.

I'll update the original post to include Gutsy. Cheers, fellow chickenheads!

Re: HOWTO: Compile VICE in Dapper, Edgy, Feisty and Gutsy

Shameless plug: If you care to, you might set up VICE to run as the sole application on an older system, and camouflage it to look something vaguely like the real thing.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/11...-2-into-a-c64/

Better than tossing a computer in the garbage, anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I can't say enough how pleased I am to see those screen shots. I owe thanks to the VIC20, C64 and C128 for my interest in computers today.

So I compiled manually, using the awesome instructions in this thread, but I have one little problem. My keyboard doesn't work in the emulation. It works in my GNOME UI, just not in the emulation. What a let down, I really wanted to start playing around with my old CBM machine.
    I get the starting screen, and the prompt, blinking, and that's as far as I can go.

Is there something simple I might have overlooked?

Also, and not sure how to fix this, but when I type x64, it's looking for it in /usr/bin when in fact it is in /usr/local/bin. I used checkinstall at the end of the building process as recommended.

Thanks!

Hop

EDIT: Vice 1.22 downloaded source from the recommended site.
    Last edited by Hopworks; November 18th, 2007 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    I think, therefore I script.
    Ubuntu Hardy Server 8.04 configured as a LAMP server, GNOME
    Pentium 4 3GHz Prescott, Asus P4P800 SE, nVidia 6600GT, 4gb RAM

Interesting. I've not run into that problem before. There are keyboard settings within VICE; is there any chance you have it set to an unusual setting? Is it an international keyboard?

You might also check the .configure --help flags to see if there was something that was omitted by accident when you compiled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Interesting. I've not run into that problem before. There are keyboard settings within VICE; is there any chance you have it set to an unusual setting? Is it an international keyboard?

You might also check the .configure --help flags to see if there was something that was omitted by accident when you compiled.
    Well, I thought of that, because I did the recommended line (optional, iffy)
    Code:
    ./configure --disable-realdevice --enable-ethernet --disable-ipv6 --enable-fullscreen --without-esd --without-oss --without-resid --with-x
    for the ./configure. So, I went and did it again without doing that, but maybe I should have removed everything before I compiled again??

I'm real new to this compiling from scratch, so bare with me. I was just pleased that I got as far as seeing that startup UI screen because I didn't use synaptic or other easy way to it. I'm trying to learn all I can about Linux, specifically Ubuntu. Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 Server has been everything I ever wanted from it, and this was a challenge.

So if you haven't seen that issue before, that doesn't surprise me. Chaulk it up to my bad luck on new experiences. LOL!

I know... hehehe
    Thanks for your time, and others that made this old dream come back alive for me.

Hop

OH, PS. Is there a thread here where people can post their VIC20/C64/C128 experiences? If not, I'd like to start one. I have many a tale to tell about my work as a kid using those wonderful machines. AND! What was the name of that apache gunship game? Was it "Apache Gunship"?? That game took up so much of my time, it actually hurt my standings in 'Trade Wars' I use to play on local BBS's, using a home-made modem. LOL

EDIT: My god, I just looked and sure enough, there is a 6510 chip still in my device cabinet. WOW! hehehehe
    Last edited by Hopworks; November 19th, 2007 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Afterthought
    I think, therefore I script.
    Ubuntu Hardy Server 8.04 configured as a LAMP server, GNOME
    Pentium 4 3GHz Prescott, Asus P4P800 SE, nVidia 6600GT, 4gb RAM

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast