Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot on Two Drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Dual Boot on Two Drives

Quote Originally Posted by catnippants View Post
    Thanks - I do believe I tried (hd0) just for kicks and it also failed (temporary edits to the root line as you descibed above). I will try hd0,0 tonight to see if that helps (as Ubuntu is in the first partition of the 2nd disk). However, this doesn't make sense to me unless my bios physically maps my 2nd disk to hd0 at boot time - but not during the install. Is this what is happening?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Here is an excellent guide explaining grub:
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm

When you installed Ubuntu, your hard drive boot order was probably your Windows drive, then your Ubuntu drive, which would result in your Ubuntu drive being recognized as (hd1) by grub. Selecting your Ubuntu drive as the first hard drive booted in bios would essentially change it's designation to (hd0), therefore "root (hd1,0)" would result in the error 17 that you're seeing...root would need to be (hd0,0). I believe if you had set your Ubuntu drive to boot first in bios before you installed Ubuntu, it would have been recognized as (hd0) & "should" have booted correctly.

Beans

That did it! I'm replying from within Ubuntu right now. Thanks a bunch for the help. Now I'm going to screw around with the menu.lst file and see if I can get Windows to load via GRUB rather than using my bios...

Thanks again,
    Mike

Beans
    Hidden!

I have two hard disks on my laptop.

For a time, I did give Linux the second drive, but no, that's not my prefered way now.

Now, I have made the first drive the Operating Systems and booter, and the SECOND hard-disk is for DATA.

Why so? Operating systems per-se don't take a whole lot of space. It's data which takes up the space. It's data which is more valuable. Of course working operating systems are quite valuable too, and with this aproach, they are backed up 'separately', often to the second hard disk. From there they can be rescued if necessary with the proper softwares.

I can remove the second hard disk, upgrade it, degrade it, etc, and my operating systems stay pretty much the same.

This has many, many more conveniences that I realized only after quite a bit of suffering.

Ubuntu takes so far less than 4 gigabytes, and a backup of it is like 1.5 GB due to backup images are compressed. The backup is on my second hard drive.

On my second hard-drive, I have separate partions for data that can be mounted for Linux read and write, and also a FAT-32. It depends how one formats those partitions, of course.

The second hard-drive I backup to an external USB drive on 'a partition' basis, and at times, I backup entire disks.

I backup the Master Boot Record to a file using Linux and of the GRUB menu list.

Also, I have encripted passwords at GRUB booter, which always stays in the first disk, because if the GRUB menu is on the second hard disk, and it gets affected by repartitioning, or whatever, no system can boot.
    Last edited by gobuntu; October 10th, 2007 at 05:20 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gobuntu View Post
    I have two hard disks on my laptop.

For a time, I did give Linux the second drive, but no, that's not my prefered way now.

Now, I have made the first drive the Operating Systems and booter, and the SECOND hard-disk is for DATA.

Why so? Operating systems per-se don't take a whole lot of space. It's data which takes up the space. It's data which is more valuable. Of course working operating systems are quite valuable too, and with this aproach, they are backed up 'separately', often to the second hard disk. From there they can be rescued if necessary with the proper softwares.

I can remove the second hard disk, upgrade it, degrade it, etc, and my operating systems stay pretty much the same.

This has many, many more conveniences that I realized only after quite a bit of suffering.

Ubuntu takes so far less than 4 gigabytes, and a backup of it is like 1.5 GB due to backup images are compressed. The backup is on my second hard drive.

On my second hard-drive, I have separate partions for data that can be mounted for Linux read and write, and also a FAT-32. It depends how one formats those partitions, of course.

The second hard-drive I backup to an external USB drive on 'a partition' basis, and at times, I backup entire disks.

I backup the Master Boot Record to a file using Linux and of the GRUB menu list.

Also, I have encripted passwords at GRUB booter, which always stays in the first disk, because if the GRUB menu is on the second hard disk, and it gets affected by repartitioning, or whatever, no system can boot.
    I may try this at some point, but for now I'm just experimenting with Ubuntu. My current config allows me to keep my Windows system intact. However, this comment:

"Also, I have encripted passwords at GRUB booter, which always stays in the first disk, because if the GRUB menu is on the second hard disk, and it gets affected by repartitioning, or whatever, no system can boot."

confuses me. In my case, if something happens to my second drive, all I have to do is swap boot drives in my bios and I'm up and running with Windows again...

Mike

Beans

For those still trying to boot from separate hard drives without success, the following is how I got mine working. My configuration is Ubuntu on a IDE 1 drive configured as master, and XP on a SATA drive 1.
    The following was added to menu.lst:

title Windows XP Pro
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootverify (hd1,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader (hd1,0)+1

Without the (hd1,0) in the chainloader line grub kept returning an error 13 : Invalid or unsupported executable format.
    After a day of searching this suggestion was found on the Linux/BSD - Whirlpool Broadband Forums.

Beans

For those still trying to boot from separate hard drives without success, the following is how I got mine working. My configuration is Ubuntu on a IDE 1 drive configured as master, and XP on a SATA drive 1.
    The following was added to menu.lst:

title Windows XP Pro
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootverify (hd1,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader (hd1,0)+1

Without the (hd1,0) in the chainloader line grub kept returning an error 13 : Invalid or unsupported executable format.
    After a day of searching this suggestion was found on the Linux/BSD - Whirlpool Broadband Forums.

Beans

Ok here is my problem i have jus been introduced to ubuntu and i waned to partition my hard drive to dual boot XP and Ubuntu but i would have to format the drive and start over..

Instead I have ordered another harddrive and was wondering if it possible to install ubuntu on that harddrive and dual boot.

The Method I want to take.

Install ubuntu to new hard drive and since i have this easy boot feature i will select it to load from which ever drive i want it to but is there another way that may be even more simple? Will my method even actually work.

I dont know what RAID actually is but will that help me?

Thanks for the help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're in the right forum thread, just look up a few pages in the posts for the details. I have been doing it successfully for over a year, thus keeping computer harmony in the family while I test drive Ubuntu.

My recommendation is to follow the directions to dual boot making Ubuntu the master and the other OS the slave. This way you don't have to mess with the BIOS. It does require a simple tweak of the GRUB boot loader menu but if I can do it, anyone can...

I'm sold on the distribution and cant wait to get a computer with more horsepower so I can run XP virtually for those few programs I just gotta have.

Good luck and welcome to the community!
    Dell Inspiron 600m 1.8GHz|ATI 9000mobile|2Gb RAM|Intel 2915ABG|dual boot Win7/UNE 10.04
    Nokia N810
    Dell Studio XPS|i7-920|6Gb RAM|Nvidia-G220|Win7|XP & Maverick in VMware player

Beans

when you say tweak the GRUB bootloader... exactly what would i be doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

See the first post in this thread and this link for help:

Here is an excellent guide explaining grub:
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm

I could not have succeeded without it. Be patient and keep asking questions. Good luck.
    Dell Inspiron 600m 1.8GHz|ATI 9000mobile|2Gb RAM|Intel 2915ABG|dual boot Win7/UNE 10.04
    Nokia N810
    Dell Studio XPS|i7-920|6Gb RAM|Nvidia-G220|Win7|XP & Maverick in VMware player

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast