Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot on Two Drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Dual Boot on Two Drives

Quote Originally Posted by la3875 View Post
    Anyhow, give these a look and be patient and methodical and I'm sure you'll get the result you want.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

All the best.
    thanks la3875

It was over 6 months ago that i installed 6.06LTS and soon after install i simply could not boot into it, getting those unable to mount filesystem errors. So I gave up and gone back to XP till a few days ago, I had read hermanzone before, and at your promting, had another look... wow he does keep it updated all the time. Great guy.

Anyway, i did have to spend hours printing and reading various options, and man I do agree with Ghot, i dont really want to waste so much time doing this, but today i found the fix with these three commands from there.

sudo parted /dev/hda p ( to check that its an ext3 filesystem since i couldnt mount the damn thing, was it my typing? no!)

sudo dumpe2fs /dev/sda1 | grep -i superblock (since i saw something about superblock as a possible problem in the error message, but hey would you expect it from a new install?)

sudo e2fsck -b 32768 /dev/sda1

Now how cryptic are all these for a newbie, windows GUI-dependent user? very. But those three line commands (very nicely explained by hermanzone) fixed it and the dual boot works. Anyway, thanks for your prompting.

Now to fixing the wireless problem....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oomingmak View Post
    I had not even heard of the "alternative" Ubuntu version till reading this thread. As a first time Linux user how was I supposed to know about this if it's not explained anywhere what it is and why I might want to use it? It's certainly not mentioned anywhere on the Ubuntu download page:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUb...irect=download

and the text mode install of the alternative version doesn't exactly sound suitable for beginners anyway.
    I had to laugh when I read my post back (quoted above).

Since then (end of last year) I've Used Ubuntu a fair few times, and I'm a bit more familiar with how it works these days, so I'm not quite so intimidated by it. I therefore got brave one day and tried out the alternative installer CD.

I actually found the install procedure to be better and easier to understand than the Live CD (even though I thought that it would be way over my head).

Just when I thought that I'd be using the alternative installs from now on (especially after hearing countless comments about how flexible and detailed it was) I got to the end of the partitioning section of the install, pressed enter (expecting to see Grub options on the next page) but there were none, it just started installing. Then half way though the install it just crapped out.

So I would've got screwed again by the exact same issue as last time (despite using the alternative install). Of course, I had my Windows drive unplugged, so it was all good. I learned that one the hard way, and will never ever again let any Ubuntu install go anywhere my system if there are other drives connected.

I don't know whether I just didn't see the Grub setup options (don't know how I would have missed it, as it was an unfamiliar text-based setup procedure and so I was being very careful to read everything) or whether it isn't included in that installer version (which can't be correct, as that would just be insane given the purpose of the alternative CD). But given that it couldn't even complete the install, I'm past caring to be honest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Glad to hear the success stories. Since we only have 2 computers in the house and we all share the box I have Ubuntu on, I too unplugged my Windows HD for fear of really screwing up! So far so good and with Feisty, I'm probably abandoning Windows for good this summer.

As for the wireless issue it should not be too hard to configure. When I tried the live CD on my wife's Dell laptop the wireless settings got corrupted when the live disc took over the hardware. The wireless worked but I had to reinstall the intel wireless driver after ejecting the Ubuntu disc.

As you noted, patience pays huge dividends.

All the best!
    Dell Inspiron 600m 1.8GHz|ATI 9000mobile|2Gb RAM|Intel 2915ABG|dual boot Win7/UNE 10.04
    Nokia N810
    Dell Studio XPS|i7-920|6Gb RAM|Nvidia-G220|Win7|XP & Maverick in VMware player

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This thread is now largely irrelevant, as 7.04 has an "Advanced" button at the Grub installation stage, which when pressed gives the option to enter a different location for Grub to be written to.

Superb, and not before time!
    Last edited by gn2; May 4th, 2007 at 10:37 AM.

Beans

Alright so..If I understand this right..

I currently have: windows xp on a sata drive. I'm getting another sata drive soon.

Can I plug this sata drive in, partition it so it's got a fat32 partition and ext3 partition, intall ubuntu on the ext partition and then dual boot between the two? Should this work?

I've got the ubuntu 7.04 alternate cd.

Was thinking of installing sabayon but I'm going with Ubuntu just because the forums are way kinder.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    This thread is now largely irrelevant, as 7.04 has an "Advanced" button at the Grub installation stage, which when pressed gives the option to enter a different location for Grub to be written to.
    And a fat lot of good it does, because you can't set it to Hd0,0, so it won't work when you switch drives in the BIOS.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2&#post2558032

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by oomingmak View Post
    And a fat lot of good it does, because you can't set it to Hd0,0, so it won't work when you switch drives in the BIOS.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2&#post2558032
    Flawed as it is, it's still a step in the right direction.

Better documentation and warnings concerning GRUB should be given during the installation process, with a link to Herman's outstanding website.

This won't happen because it would put a lot of new users off.

I learned an enormous amount from the Hermanzone site, sadly only after I had a shedload of problems.

I wish I had been steered towards the Hermanzone site earlier before I got the bad attitude towards Ubuntu, which happily has now changed.

It was largely the contact with Herman himself and others within this community that kept me using Linux.

I use it exclusively now.

Although the wife's PC still has a nasty infection of XP

Beans

Folks, I know this is an old thread, but I'm finding it difficult to find new info. At the moment, I'm stuck and could use some help.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu on a 2nd harddrive, just like most of these threads discuss. Windows XP is on hda, and I want to use part of hdb for Ubuntu. My intent was to use my BIOS boot select menu to select the boot drive - as I don't want to touch my WinXP drive. I've partitioned the 2nd drive using GParted (164G of available space) into 3 pieces - 80 primary for Ubuntu, 2 extended for Swap, and 82 extended as an NTFS drive for data. I'm installing Ubuntu Studio - so for the sake of discussion, it's the 7.04 alternate installer. The install completed fine, and I did NOT install GRUB to the hd0 MBR. Instead, I specified (hd1). However, now when I boot (with the Ubuntu drive selected as the boot drive), I get the GRUB boot selection screen, but when I pick Ubuntu, I get 'Error 17: Cannot Mount Selected Partition'. If I switch the boot drive back to the WinXP drive, WinXP loads normally.

It's only now that I saw the comments on disconnecting the Windows drive prior to installing Ubuntu. I've also now seen comments stating that this is irrelevent with 7.04 because you can choose the GRUB install location. However, I'm still unclear on what I did wrong - or how to fix it to get Ubuntu to load. Any thoughts or direction? I've read most of the newer tutorials, and it seems like I did all those things, so I'm somewhat at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You'll need to change the root from (hd1,x) to (hd0,x)...you can do this by highlighting your first Ubuntu entry in the grub boot menu, press "e", highlight the line with root, press "e" again, change your root from (hd1,x) to (hd0,x), press "enter", then press "b" to boot...x means to leave this value as it is. This change is temporary, but you can make it permanent in your /boot/grub/menu.lst...open a terminal(Applications---Accessories---Terminal):
    Code:
    cd /boot/grub
    sudo cp menu.lst menu.lst_backup
    gksudo gedit menu.lst
    change your root entries to (hd0,x) and be sure to change the line with #groot to (hd0,x):
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#groot

quit & save

You could probably add an entry to your menu.lst to boot your Windows drive from grub:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179902

Beans

Thanks - I do believe I tried (hd0) just for kicks and it also failed (temporary edits to the root line as you descibed above). I will try hd0,0 tonight to see if that helps (as Ubuntu is in the first partition of the 2nd disk). However, this doesn't make sense to me unless my bios physically maps my 2nd disk to hd0 at boot time - but not during the install. Is this what is happening?

Thanks,
    Mike

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast