View Poll Results: Do you consider windows systems in general to be good?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 40.45%
  • No

44 49.44%
  • Unsure

9 10.11%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you consider windows systems in general to be good?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Do you consider windows systems in general to be good?

I just find the interface to be awful and the operating system unmaintainable. I also hate how it assumes it is more intelligent than the user. Even though I've told it that I don't want to automatically download and install updates, it still does so whenever I have the modem plugged in.

Yep, I don't like KDE's interface either as it too closely mirrors Windows'.

On Windows, when I want to digitise video, I have problems. If I want to capture to the hard disk, the disk's fragmentation causes the audio to go out of sync with the video. If I capture to an empty DVD-RAM, I don't get AV sync problems; but there's SOME process still active which tries to access the DVD-RAM, and sometimes ruins the capture.

I have to think that Windows is the most insecure operating system with the most security features. Microsoft's documentation proudly boasts all these very interesting introspective security monitors, but many things Windows does are completely insecure. I'll give you an example:

* Windows has an RPC daemon (Remote Procedure Calling). I don't know if it sends RPC requests or recieves them, but whatever it is, it's facing the Internet and for security reasons I don't want it open. So I go to the Task Manager and kill it. Windows then tells me that the RPC program has shut down unexpectedly, and that Windows itself will shut down in 1 minute.

What's to stop a virus from continually killing the RPC daemon on startup, causing the computer to shut down immediately? Maybe I should write this as a proof-of-concept so Microsoft will fix it?

I originally didn't intend to bash Microsoft or Windows, but it looks like I have. Even most of Microsoft's fans (except the ones who insist that IE has "superior security features") have grave doubts about Vista's real level of security. The parts of Windows' framework that cause users to run in an insecure manner are not parts that Microsoft has changed.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

About the RPC daemon, there was already a virus that did that hehe. I think it was the "I love you" virus. Pretty darn annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well then, I must be a haxxor genius. (according to Wikipedia, the "I Love You" virus didn't do that, but now that I think about it I do recall hearing about a virus that managed to shut down the computer immediately after startup).
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

XP has been their only good one. But it's really nothing compared to any modern Linux distrobution.
    "i want to change the world but they wont give me the source code"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Do a fresh install of both OS, Ubuntu and Windows.
    1. Windows - Not very usable. No office suite.
    2. Ubuntu - Very usable. Have, almost, everything you need. Office suite is there.

But adding add-ons, Windows is better for me. Almost, or most devices comes with a driver for windows. The biggest problem in windows is its security. Virus. Worm. Trojan. Spyware. Defrag.

In Ubuntu, no need to worry viruses, worms, spywares, defrag. Trojan i guess can penetrate linux.

The worst Windows is Windows ME. Some called it ME is in Maximum Errors. Thats the worst Windows i have ever used.

Ubuntu is good.
    Windows is good.
    They are both good.
    Both have advantages and disadvantages.
    The only reason I use windows is for games(online games), Yahoo Messenger, and Modem.

My Ubuntu machine connect to a Windows which acts as a gateway.

Beans

Unfortionately, I must keep Windows XP Home Addition because a good deal of my hardware does not play well with others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kenweill View Post
    The worst Windows is Windows ME. Some called it ME is in Maximum Errors. Thats the worst Windows i have ever used.
    Wrong. They called ME = Major Error

Personally I don't like windows with an exception of win98 which I find okay. The reason is I like to see what's happening behind all the gui so I have an idea what's happening and the lack of control in windows is also annoying. When an error pop up saying 765EE563 you don't stand a chance to do something about it. You got two options, wait for an update or reinstall.

Beans

I'll be running a double OS, my sensitive crap in the Linux half, my play crap and printing and scanning needs, some video crap in the Windows ghetto. Any surfing in the unsafe wild I will be doing on Linux time, as Windows is about as safe as skinny dipping in a shark reef!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123