Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is eyecandy necessary?

Beans

Re: Is eyecandy necessary?

Is eyecandy neccessary... yes, well maybe we don't need opengl effects today. But the default ubuntu theme (without extra tweaks) must beat windows xp (without extra hacks) at least. Which it does by far IMO. And vista when it comes out. ...why must it beat windows? Because windows sets the bar for average. And OSes are like girls, an uglier-then-average girl might have a great personality, be trustable and all that. But when the boys see you with her they only see the looks and comment on that you 'couldn't get anything better' then big-nose-Betty.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kvark
    But when the boys see you with her they only see the looks and comment on that you 'couldn't get anything better' then big-nose-Betty.
    And that's why we should bring back duelling. Of course, I get your point. I just couldn't resist a joke along the way.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kvark
    Is eyecandy neccessary... yes, well maybe we don't need opengl effects today. But the default ubuntu theme (without extra tweaks) must beat windows xp (without extra hacks) at least. Which it does by far IMO. And vista when it comes out. ...why must it beat windows?
    Don't know why. I know we can't at first though. Why? Drivers. Thats the truth. If all Linux users had Nvidia cards then Linux eye candy would be great and stable. Drivers for the other cards (what most people have) suck.

There is the truth.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Isn't the point that desktop acceleration is both eyecandy and usability? Did you not read the OS X users post about how each release of mac OS is fast? With desktop acceleration , the resources to handle eyecandy would be chump change. And there is no way you will be *Forced* to use eyecandy so i dont see what you all are complaining about.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NoTiG
    Isn't the point that desktop acceleration is both eyecandy and usability? Did you not read the OS X users post about how each release of mac OS is fast? With desktop acceleration , the resources to handle eyecandy would be chump change.
    Only Macs with their magic trick (aka a closed box like a game console) can make an accereated desktop seem easy. If everyone had Nvidia cards we would be there too.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456