Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by emiphiste View Post
    I tried using the script, and it looked like it copied the fonts over fine; however, when I opened the GIMP to make sure I had the fonts, they were all defaulted to look like one of the monotypes. This may or may not be a unique issue - just thought I'd let you know (though the most likely reason is that I'm doing something wrong).

After some research on ubuntuforums.org, I've located a really simple way to install fonts (just to add on to the thread in case you're only looking to install maybe a few fonts at a time).

1) Download any/all fonts into one location (I'm using /home/"USERNAME"/ttffonts).

2) Navigate back to your home directory and create a folder called ".fonts". (This directory will disappear from view; don't worry about it, it's still there.)

3) In terminal, cd to /home/"USERNAME"/ttffonts.

4) cp all fonts in ttffonts to /home/"USERNAME"/.fonts (The only minor inconvenience about this is that, unlike using the script, you have to type out all fonts by hand - which may suck quite heartily if you're trying to install thousands of fonts from a server.)

5) Installation complete! (Source: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263689)

(By the way, if you can help me get the script to work 100%, that would be awesome. It looks to be a very handy and well-written tool. I thought it might be because I'm using Breezy Badger instead of Dapper - could that be the culprit?)
    Thanks for that! I preferred this method best.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    You also have to run
    Code:
    sudo fc-cache -fv
    to cause the system to notice the changes. Hence my comment about this needing to be easier. In the ideal system, you should be able to accomplish any system task via either the command line or a graphical interface. sudo fc-cache -fv is hardly a GUI.
    this is probley the only time i will get to say this but this is where windows is somewhat better unless it freezes when you install the font lol

is there anyway that we can make a patch so you can just copy the fonts to /usr/shared/fonts and it will automatically recognize them cause then it would just be awesome lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have a moral problem with this.
    This is linux.
    Not windows or Mac os.
    If I am logged in as root, I should be able to do whatever I like, damaging or not.
    That's the whole point of having lesser user accounts.
    If I want to cut and paste my entire file system to gibberish; I should be able to do that. This is not the first time I have run across this type of problem in Ubuntu.
    The first was early on as a new user, when I wanted to log in as root in the first place. I found it was disabled, and had to find out how to un-disable it.
    This is just damn annoying though. why doesnt cut and paste features work outside of the "home" folder???
    It's MY damn computer!!! If I want to F*ck it up, That's my right!!! I shouldn't have the OS telling me what I can and can't do with it!
    Especially not as Root.
    Is there any way to disable this "feature" so that I can just cut and paste files?

Beans

I agree to a certain extent, I dont like how by default ubuntu dosent allow you to live as a root acess account, but there are ways around it.

I think this might help:
    Code:
    sudo su
    This will log you into a session as root.

Then run:
    Code:
    passwd
    Change your root password at will.

Then go to:
    System > Administration > Login Window

click the 'Security' tab and then tick 'Allow local system administrator login'. You may now login as root perminatly. I dont do this myself, but im sure thats a working method for it. Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for that.
    I don't log in as root often, but when I do, it's nice to have any easy way in , so that I don't have to waste unnessicary time.
    I do understand that it is in my best security interests to not use root for regular use. It is nice to be able to quickly be as root if I need to change some settings or edit a paricular file for instance. Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

How to install fonts in Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon:

By the way, I don't know if anybody accurately answered the OP.
    But to install fonts in Ubuntu 7.4-7.10 (I cannot speak for previous versions)

do the following:

* Copy the fonts you want to install using the"copy" command.

* Paste them into /user/share/fonts/(the appropreate folder, for instance truetype fonts will go in the 'truetype' folder)

* That's it.
    Fonts added here will now be avalable system wide incl. openoffice and gimp.

* Log out as root, and log back in as your regular user.

Beans

Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon:

You can also install fonts by (putting them in or creating and putting them in) your ~/.fonts folder.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon:

What I do is I go to Appearance -> Fonts -> Details -> Go to Fonts Folder

..then just paste my *.ttf files there. It's really easy and it works for me.

Beans

Question Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

I wanted to install some fonts from windows and i got my folder for install. quickly i figured that there was no way of installing them easy, so i read around and did this:

Alt-F2 to open the run dialog

fonts://
    The window that opens allows you to copy and paste new font files to install them.
    as mentioned in http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/1...nts-in-ubuntu/

and i did this and my pc froze. there weren't many fonts. i restarted and got nothing but wallpaper and NO menu. empty ubuntu...

please tell me i can fix this? why is it so hard to install new fonts?

can anybody tip me how to fix my system and install fonts ?

i am writing this post from xp and this is really embarrassing
    ubuntuniarenje

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cchevy View Post
    I wanted to install some fonts from windows and i got my folder for install. quickly i figured that there was no way of installing them easy, so i read around and did this:

Alt-F2 to open the run dialog

fonts://

as mentioned in http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/1...nts-in-ubuntu/

and i did this and my pc froze. there weren't many fonts. i restarted and got nothing but wallpaper and NO menu. empty ubuntu...

please tell me i can fix this? why is it so hard to install new fonts?

can anybody tip me how to fix my system and install fonts ?

i am writing this post from xp and this is really embarrassing
    Your problem with Gnome starting can't be related to installing fonts except that something apparently crashed at a bad time. What actually froze? Nautilus? Total system lockups are extremely rare, although the system might appear to be locked up if you don't know how to troubleshoot it.

First, try rebooting again. If that doesn't fix it, then you need to determine just what's crashing. At the login screen, hit F10 and select first the failsafe Gnome session to see if that works. If not, launch the failsafe terminal session.

Try starting gnome from the command line:
    Code:
    gnome-session &
    Post any errors you see. If that doesn't start things up properly (I'm guessing it won't), then log out again and return to the failsafe terminal. Now, run the following commands one at a time, noting any error messages:
    Code:
    gnome-settings-daemon &
    gnome-panel &
    nautilus &
    If something crashes, then you know that it's the culprit. If nothing does, then the culprit is probably one of your startup programs--but failsafe Gnome should have detected that already.

In addition to installing fonts the way you tried, you can also put them in ~/.fonts or create a directory for them under /usr/share/fonts/truetype and put them there. After either of these methods, you need to run
    Code:
    sudo fc-cache -fv
    to tell the system about your changes.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast