Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

The simplest way is download the font you want to install. Double click on it. At the right bottom corner you will see the option 'install font'. Click on it and it will be installed. You can check in Open Office word and it will be there. (Ubuntu 10.1)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I'm so confused when assigning fonts to my design because there are A LOT OF FONTS, out there!

Example when I type in OpenOffice, use GIMP, I'm overwhelmed with the LOTS of fonts out there, even when I was still in Windows.

Is there a tutorial where I can:

1. Remove All Pre-Installed Fonts?
    2. Create or paste only the ones I want in /home/user/.fonts? or /usr/share/fonts/myfonts/ ?

If I can do this, I'll be faster and can only CHOOSE FONTS I Actually USE and NEED.

Thanks a lot.
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandersen View Post
    Hi,

I have a .ttf font file here and I am wondering how I install it into the system?
    i usually take the straight steps...
    i download all the ttf i need. then copy to ~/.fonts folder in hme or if you need systemwide application, move the *.ttf fonts to /usr/share/fonts/TTF
    if TTF folder isnt there then create one.

Code:
    sudo mv ~/FONTS.ttf /usr/share/fonts/TTF
    if TTF folder isnt there in /usr/share/fonts, then create...

Code:
    sudo mkdir /usr/share/fonts/TTF
    Ubuntu + Linux = UbunTux !!! Gr8 combo !!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Pains like putting the files you downloaded into a different folder?
    Pains like having to manually manage fonts collection instead of using perfectly reasonable interfaces with tags and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderDGreat View Post
    Hi, I'm so confused when assigning fonts to my design because there are A LOT OF FONTS, out there!

Example when I type in OpenOffice, use GIMP, I'm overwhelmed with the LOTS of fonts out there, even when I was still in Windows.
    Use font managers. They make it easy to decide what you don't need that can be hidden for while. I'll see about a tutorial.
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Beans

Thumbs up Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

Hi people,

If, like most, you are on a single-user system, then font installation is dead simple.

Of course, there are a billion different ways (read above) but here's my favourite:

create a directory called
    Code:
    .fonts
    in your home directory.
    Put your new fonts in that
    run
    Code:
    sudo fc-cache -fv
    That's it!

Beans

I'm using ubuntu 11.04 and am trying all of the different ways to install fonts into existing and new folders, but a lot of these folders im finding that after i make them it won't allow me to modify or change permissions to install anything into them. Getting kind of frustrated as I would just assume it would be pretty straight forward. When I use GIMP 2.6 to select a font I keep getting Invalid UTF-8 data in file '/home/ajlchase/.font/BROKEN_GHOST.ttf no matter which way I locate it....help this noob out please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi I'm a noob too but to have the max permissions i would open a terminal window then at eh prompt type

sudo nautilus

This opens a file browser as root i think that should give you whatever permissions you want

Beans

Talking Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by emiphiste View Post
    I tried using the script, and it looked like it copied the fonts over fine; however, when I opened the GIMP to make sure I had the fonts, they were all defaulted to look like one of the monotypes. This may or may not be a unique issue - just thought I'd let you know (though the most likely reason is that I'm doing something wrong).

After some research on ubuntuforums.org, I've located a really simple way to install fonts (just to add on to the thread in case you're only looking to install maybe a few fonts at a time).

1) Download any/all fonts into one location (I'm using /home/"USERNAME"/ttffonts).

2) Navigate back to your home directory and create a folder called ".fonts". (This directory will disappear from view; don't worry about it, it's still there.)

3) In terminal, cd to /home/"USERNAME"/ttffonts.

4) cp all fonts in ttffonts to /home/"USERNAME"/.fonts (The only minor inconvenience about this is that, unlike using the script, you have to type out all fonts by hand - which may suck quite heartily if you're trying to install thousands of fonts from a server.)

5) Installation complete! (Source: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263689)

(By the way, if you can help me get the script to work 100%, that would be awesome. It looks to be a very handy and well-written tool. I thought it might be because I'm using Breezy Badger instead of Dapper - could that be the culprit?)

it's work 100%. i ever have problem in fonts format between ms office and ununtu.
    but now it's ok.
    Thank so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by psnegi View Post
    The simplest way is download the font you want to install. Double click on it. At the right bottom corner you will see the option 'install font'. Click on it and it will be installed. You can check in Open Office word and it will be there. (Ubuntu 10.1)
    This worked great for me and it took about five seconds. Thank you!

(Running Ubuntu 10.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

the easiest way to install a new font is to download the font file of your choice, from for example http://www.fontcenter.com/fonts/zero_threes.html. Font Center has a lot of goodies, and that particular one, zero threes, is one of my favs. With this particular site, or any for that matter, it doesnt matter if it says the font is for mac or pc, as it is a *.TTF file anyway. Download the file, open it. Without even extracting it, from within the zip program, just open the tff file. It will show an example of the file and a button that says install. It is that simple. Enjoy!

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast