Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

Thanks to all who contributed on this one. I thought of using the wild card:

cp fonts/*.ttf fonts/*.TTF .fonts

but learned something on the command:

sudo fc-cache -fv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks to this thread I've been able to get a newly installed font working. Thanks for the help, especially the sudo fc-cache -fv bit

Beans

I have been looking around for some time on how to install fonts in ubuntu (edgy).

This post offers a good way, I looked at the script which is awesome...
    Also the .fonts way as well.

So what I infer is that the easiest way is to copy the fonts to some directory over /usr/share/fonts or to the .fonts in the home dir.

However, I know there is a way to make you own directory somewhere like /usr/local/fonts/ttf/
    and change the configuration in the config file for X server to look for that. I cannot find the config file, though I tried adding that dir in the xorg.config file and restarting, which apparently did not work. I read about chkfontpath doing that for us, but I could not find source or copy for chkfontpath.

Any ideas on how to do the above?

Thanks

Beans

Why can't anything be simple with Linux. Like drag and drop. I'm trying to get this Elder Scrolls Daedric font and I am a noob and I don't know how to use nautilis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

If anyone's still wondering about this, I found a page that seems to supply the necessary info: FontInstallHowto.

Beans

Question Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

I can tell this is going to be a whole lotta fun once I get the major things up and running.

I notice the fonts references all seem to be to TrueType fonts. I'm not too crazy about TT. Does anyone use Type 1 fonts in Ubuntu?

BTW, a Pure Noob questions - do I want to load Mac fonts or PC fonts? Or is there a repository of purely Linux fonts?

Yes, this is how little I know about 'nix and 'nux. I'm here to remedy my ignorance, and your (plural and singular) help is a great gift. Thank you all.

g.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm pretty new to Linux but the way I installed my fonts was to hit (alt-F2) and then type in (gksudo nautilus) and hit enter then type your password go to file system then usr and then shared then fonts. it worked out fine for me. A proud user of ubuntu 6.10 edgy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Fonts are a beast unto themselves. You can have copy of a bad font and another copy as a good, working font and both will have the same name. Me? I would encourage you to use a font management program like fonty python. Putting 2,000 fonts inside the files system won't help anything. In fact, having a bunch of fonts inside the system can use up RAM that doesn't need to always be tied up. fonty lets you categorize your fonts into folders that make sense to you, ie Christmas, Party, Customer1, etc.

fonty python
    the limitation is fonty works only with TrueType.

BTW, a Pure Noob questions - do I want to load Mac fonts or PC fonts? Or is there a repository of purely Linux fonts?
    Mac files have that "fork" for file types. There is a forum discussion about extracting the font data portion of that fork. I've used PC versions of most of my TrueType fonts. Here is a HowTo:

Mac to Linux Fonts HowTo

As far as Type1 Fonts, I dunno. Type1 seems to be fading, I'm looking forward to the OpenType standard. Use something like FontForge to convert the fonts to the file formats you want.
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans

[QUOTE=Unterseeboot_234;2048071]Fonts are a beast unto themselves. <<SNIP!>>Here is a HowTo:

Mac to Linux Fonts HowTo
    /QUOTE]

Danke sehr! Es hilft mir sehr viel!

I can't offer you 7k Mac fonts, but I do have a fairly healthy collection I might well convert.

g.
    Last edited by gurnemanz; January 24th, 2007 at 12:39 AM. Reason: typo - and that's not a pun!
    "Write hard, live free!"
    -Elaine Viets

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    This is one of the best-kept secrets in Ubuntu. Open up Nautilus, hit Ctrl+L, and type fonts://<Enter>.

It's possible that you'll need a root nautilus for this:
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    This seemed to work perfectly for me. Thanks.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast