Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

I don't know if there's anything wrong with my method, can you please comment on it? Tried on 3 Karmic computers and 2 Jaunty, works well! I'm using a .ttf fonts.

NOTE: I have a MS Office 2007. I just went to C:\Windows\Fonts\ and got all the .ttf fonts there.

1. To browse your system files with root permissions

Code:
    sudo nautilus
    2. Create a folder myfonts under:

/usr/share/fonts/
    Copy & Paste your fonts in your newly created folder:

3. Make sure you set permissions to:

Code:
    sudo chmod -R 755 /usr/share/fonts/myfonts/
    4. Finally, restart your fonts

Code:
    sudo fc-cache -fv
    5. If you're curious:

Code:
    man fc-cache
    6. Open OOP - and fonts like cambria, calibri, etc... will be there...
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans

I was having same prob as some, clicking on the preview and pushing install, which changed the button to install failed. So, I opened /home in root and went to .fonts and that font was there, double clicked and clicked install and it worked. I'm not sure if it will work in openoffice without logging out or something, but we are closer.

thanks for the tip.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkover View Post
    I was having same prob as some, clicking on the preview and pushing install, which changed the button to install failed. So, I opened /home in root and went to .fonts and that font was there, double clicked and clicked install and it worked. I'm not sure if it will work in openoffice without logging out or something, but we are closer.

thanks for the tip.
    Editing stuff in your home directory as root is virtually always unnecessary if your system is properly configured. Files under your home dir should be owned by your user, and of course your user has control over the files it owns.

Messing about as root can leave root-owned files around, which can cause various problems. Save root for only system-level stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i personally got interested in the Diablo II Lord of Destruction font, so i easily found it and downloaded it and i wanted to install it but didnt know how, so i searched around the forum a bit, the first responce didnt work, maybe i was doing it wrong
    then i opened the font with something like font viewer similar to the one in *******.. and there was a button [Install] .. the font was .ttf
    now i have the font ^_^
    i hope this helps out someone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by alex.rayu View Post
    Yeah if you have 300 fonts to install - opening each of them in a preview and clicking an Install button does not make one with thanking God for it. It is great to have a button there. BUT, a context Install menu item in a context menu is a MUST.
    You mean copy & paste is too hard?

1. select font(s)
    2. press ctrl + c
    3. press ctrl + l
    4. type ~/.fonts
    5. press ctrl + v
    Fear is the mindkiller....
    The little death that obliterates...

Beans

I see that this is a VERY old thread, but I just wanted to say that the install script worked like a dream in Karmic, so Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wink Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandersen View Post
    Hi,

I have a .ttf font file here and I am wondering how I install it into the system?

You just have to double-click it and it will open a new window. At the right of the window, there is an option, "Install Font". Click on it and it will install the font. You can see it in your Home Folder but first, you have to select "Show Hidden Files" on View Menu and double-click the folder, ".fonts". And voila! The font is installed!
    trixa_13

"That's why we are the team of dreams!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

For me it worked: under Ubuntu 9.10 default distro

create folder "/home/USERNAME/.fonts"
    copied all the font files to that folder
    typed "sudo fc-cache fv" in terminal

It was done

Thanks all

Beans

Heeeyyyy, first post, awesome.
    Does any of this translate over to Kubuntu? And if so, anyone know where I may be able to find extra fonts to download? If possible, from a trusted source. Thanks!

Beans

Hi friends this is the way to install fonts in ubuntu:-

This section describes two ways for how to install new fonts in Ubuntu.

The first uses the Synaptic Package Manager to install fonts from the Ubuntu repositories. As new fonts get added to the archive, this method offers fonts suitable for an increasing number of users, and is very easy.

The second method is useful if you have downloaded fonts from the web, bought them, or acquired them from other sources. It is a bit more manual, but allows you to use fonts (including restricted fonts when you can't find a free/libre/open font equivalent) from a wide range of sources.

Finally, at the end of this page, there are some links for further information on fonts on GNU/Linux.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast