Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How to install fonts in Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by dhldhldhl View Post
    if I hit ctrl+l and I type in fonts:// it says either: Could not display "fonts:///" (not root), or Could not find "/home/daniel/fonts:". (root), can anyone help me out here?
    Does /home/daniel/.fonts (note the .) exist? If not create it and put the fonts in there.

Why isn't there some font menu thing in Preferences? It could show a preview of the fonts and have a nice drag and drop UI to install fonts. At the very least just have it link to either the user or root fonts folder.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

For more information on Installing follow my guide.
    Installing fonts.

Beans

On the Add/Remove menu - there is an app called Fonty Python
    Or use sudo apt-get install fontypython

Works wonderfully - does the job for you...Displays all the fonts in a folder and let's you pick the ones you want...awesome little program and really easy to use - Fonts showed up in OpenOffice straight away...no problems so far.

Here is a website with more info:
    http://otherwise.relics.co.za/wiki/S...e/FontyPython/
    Last edited by spottedhyena; March 19th, 2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: added screenshot link/command line

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu Development Release

In kubuntu it is really simple, and regardless whether you run it or not, this might be useful for kubuntu users so i'll post it anyway.

System> Install Fonts> Then browse to the .ttf file and ur done
    Why not visit my blog.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by barratt_sab View Post
    Post: #72 One thing I have discovered - if you copy the font files as root (i.e. sudo cp or sudo nautilus and drag and drop) then the new font files have root as the owner and no access for anyone else. When you then sudo fc-cache to update the font cache, everything works fine, because fc-cache is running as root. However, when you then start an application (Gimp or OO, for example) as a normal user the new fonts are either found but not displayed (Gimp) or not found at all (OO).

The solution is to change the permissions on the new font files to make them world readable (you can sudo nautilus, navigate to the font directory select all, right-click properties and set the permissions).
    That's the Ticket ... Fonts now show in Open Office 3.x under Jaunty 9.04

I also followed every Font-Copy Procedure on this Thread, so I have a half a dozen Font Folders all over the Place, and I have no Clue which one(s) did the Trick.

But none of those Instructs above works where the Font can actually be utilized (as opposed merely being shown as available to any given Application), and the Permissions mostly definitely need to be re-set.

Unfortunately it appears I have the nauseating Task ahead of me to change the Permissions on Hundreds of Fonts individually ... lol

Many Procedures on this Thread appear to no longer work in Jaunty 9.04, but the above mentioned ones do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic_lord View Post
    Post #84 I don't get it, why so complicated? I had to install KDE with Dolphin just to install some fonts on my computer. Once you select a font in dophin, on he right side of the screen a "install font" option appears. Well... smart people made it.
    That works perfectly too, and probably the best Course of Action if Fonts will only be installed selectively.

Quote Originally Posted by spottedhyena View Post
    On the Add/Remove menu - there is an app called Fonty Python
    Or use sudo apt-get install fontypython

Works wonderfully - does the job for you...Displays all the fonts in a folder and let's you pick the ones you want...awesome little program and really easy to use - Fonts showed up in OpenOffice straight away...no problems so far.
    This Application false-reports that most Windows Type, as well as True Type Fonts cannot be drawn when various Programs under Ubuntu run them perfectly well. Caution.
    Last edited by Ticketoride; April 15th, 2009 at 11:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Making a /.Fonts Folder under the Home Directory doesn't work under 9.04 Jaunty, at least not for all Applications. Even though I changed the Permissions, the Fonts would still not show up in OpenOffice 3.x after sudo fc-cache -fv

But those Fonts I had copied by means of gksudo nautilus to the /usr/share/fonts Directory showed up right away after I changed Permission from Root to the User Account by right-clicking the Properties Page Security Tab of the each Font, and then sudo fc-cache -fv.

This appears to be the Action that makes these Fonts completely available globally.
    Last edited by Ticketoride; April 15th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ticketoride View Post
    Unfortunately it appears I have the nauseating Task ahead of me to change the Permissions on Hundreds of Fonts individually ... lol
    Actually, that isn't necessary. Fonts technically should be owned by root. The key is to make them world-readable. The command
    Code:
    sudo chmod +r font_file
    will do the trick.

But you don't have to manually change them all. That's where the power of the command line becomes evident. Suppose your fonts are in three directories under /usr/share/fonts/truetype: foo, bar, and baz. You can do this:
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/fonts/truetype
    sudo chmod +r foo/* bar/* baz/*
    Or, make a loop (useful if you have a lot more files and directories than my example):
    Code:
    for i in foo bar baz; do
      sudo chmod +r "$i"/*
    done

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    Code:
    sudo chmod +r font_file
    Just the usual Fare ---> chmod: cannot access `font_file': No such file or directory

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    Code:
    sudo chmod +r foo/* bar/* baz/*
    Code:
    for i in foo bar baz; do
      sudo chmod +r "$i"/*
    done
    Unless it comes down "Gerber-Style" Baby-Steps 1,2,3 ... its all Pseudo-Klingon Greek to me.

Unless you have a specific Command that applies to the Fonts /usr/share/fonts Directory, I won't be able to do anything with it, since there is no Point placing the Fonts anywhere else, because I have shown in the Fashion in my Post above that this most definitely works. And since it does, There is no Point concentrating on other Directories at this Point. Maybe at some Point in the Future, but its over my Head now.

Nevertheless, I just found another Way ...

Use Kubuntu's 9.04 Font Installer in Ubuntu 9.04

Launch Synaptic and search for systemsettings and install.
    Alternately run sudo apt-get install systemsettings in a Termnial Window.

Go to Applications "Add/Remove..." and search for "System Settings" and Checkbox it if not already so. Then hit "Apply Changes" at the Bottom.

Go to --> Applications ---> System Tools and hit "System Settings".

Click on the "Font Installer" Icon near the Bottom of the Page.

* ... also all the Fonts which were copied to the /usr/share/fonts Folder per my Post above and then had their Permission changed from Root to User, show up as being registered by Kubuntu's Font Installer.
    Last edited by Ticketoride; April 16th, 2009 at 10:10 AM.

Beans

I take it nobody reads any of my posts with the link in my signature saying how to install fonts?
    http://www.geocities.com/ajb2k305/tutorials/font.html

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Just tossing this out for any interested parties...

There are some .deb/source files on this site that will quickly and easily install a bunch of fonts for you.

Just a few clicks and all the fonts are immediately available in Open Office and Appearance preferences and all other applications.

6,700 fonts in one .deb file if you really want a serious font-dump(!!!) or the "Lite" version will install 76 of the most popular fonts for you.

All of the files are here: http://thelinuxbox.org/?page_id=3#fonts
    Last edited by Therion; April 16th, 2009 at 05:39 PM.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast