Thread: Ichthux - Kubuntu CE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ichthux - Kubuntu CE?

Just been reading about Ichthux here.

What do you guys think? Is it a step too close to Ubuntu CE?

Personally, I'm neither a CE user, nor am I religious, but I found the article and thought some of you may be interested.

Personally, if I were religious (which I am not), or a religious friend asked for KDE Christian Linux, I'd use Ubuntu CE, and install the KDE environment before I tried Ichthux, purely because of this support forum and the fact that I can contact the creator(s) directly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Ichthux - Kubuntu CE?

I'm not sure what you mean by "too close to Ubuntu CE". For example, is Ubuntu CE too close to Ubuntu?

Both Christian distros seem to be targeted at users who might otherwise not know or not want to install a few software packages on their own. If that is true, then recommending to install KDE on top of Ubuntu CE defeats the purpose of an out-of-the-box-ready Christian distro.

Clearly there's a niche market for such items. What's arguable is whether they ought to be recognized as distributions, flavors or something else.

Beans

I agree that CE seems to be a flavor or a mod or whatever...however; As posted elsewhere (i paraphrase as i was reading the thread on (k)(ed)(x)ubuntu), what's the difference). The beauty of linux, and ubuntu, is what you can do with it. KDE and Gnome can and does work side-by-side without a hitch (i have gnome and edu). What i have seen in the CE edition is that some of the items aren't listed in the repository (i have universe and multivers open). Not to mention it is bundled to work nicely (the CE edition). Yes you can install some of the software separately but not all. It's a nice distro. Like any distro, it is bundled a certain way but you can alter it anyway you choose after you get it. The CE edition is, to me, for those who only want a certain distro with just that bundle, that's all
    The issue people'll have with it is that it is run with proxy and other filters (when you access the i-net) & will give you a major headache, it does me anyway (after all i am a n00b) The creator (if you will) of CE can and will help even through that.
    Also you can be an atheist and still use it without a hitch. It may just be something you need.
    That's all for now.
    Pman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by meng View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "too close to Ubuntu CE". For example, is Ubuntu CE too close to Ubuntu?
    That's not what I meant.

If I were to create a fork of Ubuntu, it'd be something new, something that hadn't been attempted before. By "too close to Ubuntu CE?" I meant do you think they've just copied the idea and used KDE? It's too... unoriginal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Are you sure that Icthux copied Ubuntu CE, or was it the other way around? There's a reference in the Icthux forums to an older version based on Knoppix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by meng View Post
    Are you sure that Icthux copied Ubuntu CE, or was it the other way around? There's a reference in the Icthux forums to an older version based on Knoppix.
    Good point, I apologize, I didn't check the dates before creating this thread.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi all,

Ichthux was actually one of the inspirations for Ubuntu CE. I watched the progress of Ichthux from a distance for several years. It had seemed that it had stalled out. I had always wanted to see a Christian distro so I just decided to do it and here we are.

I noticed after I released Ubuntu CE that the Ichthux project had really started picking up some steam. I am not sure if it was a coincedence or if the success of Ubuntu CE helped spur things on. Either way I think it is great to have them both.

Ichthux is a similiar project with some very distinct differences. The Ichthux project is built by Ubuntu developers and they stick very closely to the Ubuntu philosophy and only include Open-Source applications. The Ubuntu CE project is built and maintained by a team of Ubuntu users. Ubuntu CE is really a "pre-customized" version of Ubuntu. We will always choose an Open-Source app over a Closed-Source one. However, Ubuntu CE does include some wallpapers, a firefox theme, and a firefox extension that are not Open-Source. We are also open to the idea of including any app that will benefit the end user whether it be Open or Closed source.

These differences have caused quite a bit of tension between the two developement Teams. I really regret that it has even been an issue. To me both projects are a great resource. I really respect the Ichthux Team and I think what they are doing is great. The Ubuntu CE project simply has a more pragmatic approach.

Anyway, I hope that helps explain a little more about the two projects.

God Bless, Jereme