Thread: HOWTO Watch HBO GO, Cinemax, Showtime Anytime, Blockbuster and much more on Linux.

Beans

HOWTO Watch HBO GO, Cinemax, Showtime Anytime, Blockbuster and much more on Linux.

Hello. I just want to share with you guys how you can watch a ton of on-demand streaming sites on your linux box.
    I'm personally using the wine-browser for this because I've already got Netflix-desktop installed.
    You can of course use a fresh Firefox (32 bit) installation as well.
    Basically what you need to install inside of firefox is
    1) Adobe Flash.
    Use the debug installation:
    http://download.macromedia.com/pub/f...ugin_debug.exe
    2) Widevine:
    https://tools.google.com/dlpage/widevine

If you want to use the netflix-desktop method here, simply just copy the /usr/bin/netflix-desktop file, rename it and change the website, app name and icon.
    The netflix-desktop app is using bash script, so this pretty easy to understand.

I use gedit to edit these files, btw (gksudo gedit /usr/bin/netflix-desktop).
    Here's the netflix-desktop file:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# Enable translation capabilities
    . gettext.sh
    export TEXTDOMAIN="netflix-desktop";
    export TEXTDOMAINDIR="/usr/share/locale";
    # General strings that are translatable
    gettext_service_name=`gettext "Netflix Desktop"`;

WINE_BROWSER="/usr/bin/wine-browser";

PACKAGE="netflix-desktop" SERVICE="${gettext_service_name}" URL="http://www.netflix.com/" "${WINE_BROWSER}" $*;

And here's my modified file for HBO Nordic:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# Enable translation capabilities
    . gettext.sh
    export TEXTDOMAIN="hbo-desktop";
    export TEXTDOMAINDIR="/usr/share/locale";
    # General strings that are translatable
    gettext_service_name=`gettext "HBO Desktop"`;

WINE_BROWSER="/usr/bin/wine-browser";

PACKAGE="netflix-desktop" SERVICE="${gettext_service_name}" URL="http://www.hbonordic.com/" "${WINE_BROWSER}" $*;

Now for the menu shortcut, located in /home/username/.local/share/applications
    Here's the netflix-desktop.desktop file (gedit /home/user/.local/share/applications/netflix-desktop.desktop):
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]Name=Netflix Desktop
    GenericName=Netflix Desktop
    Comment=Watch movies and TV shows on your PC
    Exec=netflix-desktop
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    StartupNotify=true
    Icon=/usr/share/icons/netflix.png
    Categories=Video;Player;AudioVideo;

And my modified file for HBO Nordic:
    Code:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=HBO Nordic Desktop
    GenericName=HBO Nordic Desktop
    Comment=Watch movies and TV shows on your PC
    Exec=hbo-desktop
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    StartupNotify=true
    Icon=/usr/share/icons/hbo.jpg
    Categories=Video;Player;AudioVideo;
    Name[nb_NO]=HBO Nordic Desktop

And that's how you make apps for your favorite on-demand streaming service.

Now you can watch 100s of on-demand sites such as HBO GO, M GO, MAX GO, SHO Anytime, FilmFresh, Starz/Encore Play, TMC, DishOnline, Blockbuster Movie Pass, Horizon.tv, HBO Nordic.

Btw, here's the PPA for Netflix-Desktop: https://launchpad.net/netflix-desktop

EDIT: Netflix Desktop is firefox in fullscreen. So to navigate around, you can press CTRL+L.
    Last edited by BlackoutWorm; June 27th, 2013 at 12:09 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO Watch HBO GO, Cinemax, Showtime Anytime, Blockbuster and much more on Linux

I've followed the steps above and have an icon that takes me to HBOGO.com. HOwever when I get there it says that I have to have Adobe flash player 10.2 to view HBO Go. This message seems pretty screwy because I have version 11.8.800.94 installed. Are they saying I have to have version 10.2 only? Newer won't cut the mustard? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Something odd I just found is that if I use the Netflix desktop and modify it as described above, I get the error about 10.2. However if I run firefox and browse to HBOGO.com, it works fine, no error and I can watch the videos.
    Last edited by TechnoJunky; July 30th, 2013 at 11:57 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO Watch HBO GO, Cinemax, Showtime Anytime, Blockbuster and much more on Linux

Very cute. Doesn't work, however.
    Vague regarding source of the HBO Go shortcut icon.

Beans

Very cute. Doesn't work, however.
    Vague regarding source of the HBO Go shortcut icon.

Beans

It works as a sharm for my HBO Nordic account! Thansk ALOT for this guide, been waiting forever for this to work on Ubuntu.

Beans

How do you install the two files? And widevine is telling me that it doesn't support Linux??? Any help in helping me figure this out would be greatly appreciated!

Beans

I can't get flash to work. I tried downloading it and installing it with Wine. But it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

//Askel

edit: Nevermind. I went to the adobe flash testsite and installed the flashplugin from there. It just crached when trying to watch videos but I was troubleshooting flash and checking the settings (without actually changing anything and suddenly HBO just worked like a charm. Thanks for this guide. Love to have both HBO and Netflix working. Now I can ditch Windows on this computer.
    Last edited by Askel; October 8th, 2013 at 07:42 AM.

Beans

why don't you just inst all netflix

To install on Ubuntu / Mint -
    Start terminal

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

and then find the NetFlix Icon under Video click to install and you are done.