Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distro for debugging PCs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Distro for debugging PCs?

Hey engineers!

What Linux distro is great for debugging and repairing PC's, regardless of OS.

For example, I use Puppy Linux to boot a PC and back up files before reloading/fixing it. Is there something else that allows me to make disk images, virus scans, disk recovery, etc...

-AR
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Beans

Re: Distro for debugging PCs?

Quote Originally Posted by ARhere View Post
    Hey engineers!

For example, I use Puppy Linux to boot a PC and back up files before reloading/fixing it. Is there something else that allows me to make disk images, virus scans, disk recovery, etc...
    "debugging" is the process of fixing problems in programs (software).

For a good utility, Clonezilla is great (see the link in my sig). You can get clonezilla and gparted on a single disk as well. GParted comes with testdisk, a great program for recovering partitions and fixing format problems. For virus scans you'd have to use something like Helix or another distro with anti-virus on it. There was a thread in this forum on such AV distros.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ARhere View Post
    Hey engineers!

-AR
    PING will allow you to make backup image's.
    http://ping.windowsdream.com/

Most any pc I had a problems with would boot into slax 5.

Have you seen this list. It seems the votes have not changed much. I like how they are listed by size, function and votes.

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

I have not used "Ultimate Boot CD" yet but it has all of what your are looking for. I have burned it, but not yet played with it. It is the highest rated on the above list for utility CD's.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I believe you're looking for a rescue and recover distro.
    Such can be found on Distrowatch.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I personally prefer backtrack. It has almost any tool I ever need for any sort of debugging. What exactly do you mean by debugging? What exactly are you trying to accomplish. There may be something more specialized.

http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    BTW I heard many years ago the word "debugging" has its origins in the need to remove a moth from a computer several decades ago.... wiki @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debugging
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I always use Puppy for fixing problems (reinstalling GRUB, running fsck...).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    BTW I heard many years ago the word "debugging" has its origins in the need to remove a moth from a computer several decades ago.... wiki @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debugging
    Although the term is typically used in reference to software and code I would say it is perfectly legit to apply the term debugging to something other than software. If something was wrong with my harddrive not mounting I would think it is fine to say I am debugging my harddrive since it could be some change at the OS level or it could be a harddrive failure.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tamoneya View Post
    Although the term is typically used in reference to software and code I would say it is perfectly legit to apply the term debugging to something other than software. If something was wrong with my harddrive not mounting I would think it is fine to say I am debugging my harddrive since it could be some change at the OS level or it could be a harddrive failure.
    I agree, especially in the light of the possibly apocryphal tale I was taught about physical intrusion of a moth into the works of a system that caused a malfunction. I've seen a photo of the alleged insect intruder.
    Last edited by lisati; June 15th, 2008 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Afterthought added
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I see nothing wrong with using the term to represent fixing problems with hardware, as the original term "bug in the system" was literally due to a bug screwing up hardware, thus a "hardware" problem.

Check this out

-AR
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast