Thread: sic! plese help me recover my disk!

Beans

sic! plese help me recover my disk!

hello gents today i mistakenly hosed my linux disk when setting up freebsd... now my linux disk is a dedicated bsd partition, i issued the commit command without thinking twice, too bad the disk which was plugged in wasnt exactly the disk i meant to set up on bsd on... anybody got a clue as to how i could possibly recoved my data? what about fdisking my disk again using the previous partition layout? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: sic! plese help me recover my disk!

you would most likely want to find some program that can recover files from deleted/formatted partitions (ext3 ones particulary)... i cant help you there as the only ones i know are for FAT and NTFS
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans

phew! i just fdisk'ed it again using my old partitioning schema and everything is ok now, cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was gonna say, as long as you didn't get as far as the mkfs command, fdisk should be able to write a good partition table back on
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

yep luckily i didn't go that far, i issued the command to repartition my disk, then i slowly turned my head to my pc (well that is, the pc pieces i got laying about on my desk) and lo and behold the hd that was plugged in was my linux sata disk luckily though the partition schema was easy to remember in terms of sectors and the like since i always partition my disks so that partitions end up being n*gibibytes in size, i have a fetish for numbers being a power of 2
    Last edited by garba; October 4th, 2006 at 08:42 PM.