Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make shell script pause?

Beans
    Hidden!

How to make shell script pause?

Whenever I run a bash script in the terminal (double click on it, "Run in Terminal") it will open up a terminal window, complete the script and exit RIGHT after it finishes giving me no time to review the output. I would like the script to leave the terminal window open after it finishes and allow further commands if possible. How would I do this? I know the sleep command can pause the script for a designated ammount of time and then close the terminal but this is an imperfect solution.
    Last edited by fatsheep; October 1st, 2006 at 10:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to make shell script pause?

fatsheep,

I assume you are using Gnome Terminal. In this case, open up a new terminal window. Go to the "Edit" menu and click "Current Profile". Click on the "Title and Command" tab. In there, there is a setting called "When command exits". Change it to "hold the terminal open".

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by po0f View Post
    fatsheep,

I assume you are using Gnome Terminal. In this case, open up a new terminal window. Go to the "Edit" menu and click "Current Profile". Click on the "Title and Command" tab. In there, there is a setting called "When command exits". Change it to "hold the terminal open".
    Cool. Thanks a bunch. However, is there any way to do this inside a script itself?

Beans
    Hidden!

fatsheep,

I think you would manually have to open up a terminal and run the script if you wanted to do it that way. AFAIK, there is no way to do this from a script. When the script exits, whatever program called it (Nautilus in this case, I'm guessing), gets the exit signal and closes the terminal. That's why Gnome Terminal has that setting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fatsheep View Post
    Whenever I run a bash script in the terminal (double click on it, "Run in Terminal") it will open up a terminal window, complete the script and exit RIGHT after it finishes giving me no time to review the output. I would like the script to leave the terminal window open after it finishes and allow further commands if possible. How would I do this? I know the sleep command can pause the script for a designated ammount of time and then close the terminal but this is an imperfect solution.
    use the read command ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdog74 View Post
    use the read command ?
    Works like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

And if you simply want a pause, use sleep

Code:
    sleep 10
    will sleep 10 seconds (10 can be any number ) (a long as it's positive)

Beans

If you don't want to change the code of the script, you can simply hit ctrl+z on the keyboard to suspend any process running in foreground and run fg to resume it in foreground (or bg to resume it in background).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fatsheep View Post
    Works like a charm. Thanks a bunch!
    For some weird reason the read command doesn't keep the terminal open for me. But if I run the script through a terminal manualy then it gives the desired effect. I am using something like this:

Code:
    #/bin/bash

'./LUA Binaries/LUA Binaries for Linux/lua5.1' './source/AskWise.lua'
    read
    Should it work?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you merely want access to the shell after your script is complete, try this:

Code:
    xterm -e 'bash myscript.bash && bash'
    With this concept you would *not* require the 'read' statement in your script. Btw, for some reason I could not get the same results when I substituted gnome-terminal for xterm. Maybe a gnome guru can explain this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast