Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flash Player 9 beta coming soon

Beans

Re: Flash Player 9 beta coming soon

As i (have to) use windows on the internet, this really doesnt affect me too much.
    But as an (albeit) offline ubuntu user, this is great!
    Using ubuntu offline?
    Want to install new programs?
    Check out wubdepends
    If Stupidity got us into this mess,
    then why can’t it get us out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    My main problem is that without the source code behind this plugin it may be unstable. it's also unavailable to PPC and 64bit users.

I just wish we had a GPL version that could be shipped with Ubuntu.
    Well..nothing to do about that I guess.. About 64 bit, wouldn't running in a chroot jail help?

I don't think Adobe will ever release the source to flash. Too risky for them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by vayu View Post
    What in particular do you find lacking?
    Sound desyncs immediately and gets worse with time, bugs appear in some Flash games that weren't there under Flash 9 for Windows, and the fact that it's Flash 7 (some sites just won't play ball without a later version).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

My main problem is that without the source code behind this plugin it may be unstable. it's also unavailable to PPC and 64bit users.
    Why would it be more stable if you had the source? And where does it say it will be unavailable for PPC and 64-bit?

I just wish we had a GPL version that could be shipped with Ubuntu.
    Of course it would be nice, but I think we should be quite thankful that Adobe is actually releasing a Linux version at all. I don't care if I have to install it separately, since Windows users must do that as well.

If you want to bash Adobe for something, then we should be on their asses for not releasing the e-book module for Acrobat Reader, which makes it impossible to get e-books from a lot of public libraries using Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lord Illidan, I sometimes wonder if they are developing a Linux version of the play to stop a GPL version from being built. think about it if there was no flash player at all how long it would be before a gpl version apeared.

and that would put a spanner in the works since gpl code tends to find it's self all over the place, in new flash editors, new windows and mac plugins ect ect. which would damage the control over the format.

I recon the whole reason it's been allowed by the top brass is for this political reason.

Now all we'll get is a player and we'll never get an editor and other conversion tools.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by richbarna View Post
    You can trick websites into thinking you already have it for the moment. (doesn't work with Yahoo video)
    http://modfree.2.forumer.com/index.p...&st=0#entry980
    This does not work on dapper. I found that on a kde desktop firefox will only play the sound, yet konqueror will play perfectly using this method.

Anyone that has kde set up on drake with gnome may want to see if konqueror will solve the issue.
    cheers - gabbman
    Linux, The Desktop of Choice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Lord Illidan, I sometimes wonder if they are developing a Linux version of the play to stop a GPL version from being built. think about it if there was no flash player at all how long it would be before a gpl version apeared.
    Actually, I thought there was already a free flash alternative. Although it is not very good.

and that would put a spanner in the works since gpl code tends to find it's self all over the place, in new flash editors, new windows and mac plugins ect ect. which would damage the control over the format.
    If the GPL code runs Flash just as well as the proprietary player, then yes. But problem is that it is a closed format, or else there would already be a player for Linux.[/QUOTE]

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I recon the whole reason it's been allowed by the top brass is for this political reason.

Now all we'll get is a player and we'll never get an editor and other conversion tools.
    Flash8 works under ubuntu (well with WINE), so theres your editor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Flash8 works under ubuntu (well with WINE), so theres your editor.
    :-/ right
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gabbman View Post
    This does not work on dapper.
    It did for me, and now on Debian etch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast