Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

Beans

Re: Build (backport) an newer Ubuntu package to run on an older Ubuntu version

Quote Originally Posted by megamaced View Post
    Sorted! Thanks.

BTW, has anyone successfully backported Firefox 2.0 using Prevu? I was backporting to Dapper but Prevu failed right at the end. Not sure what went wrong
    personally I do not see a reason for backport FF2.0. It is much easier to install it using a tar from Mozilla's site and instruction in wiki. As I remember the backports team tried to backport 1.5 in Breezy but gave up due to many problems. Maybe it is easier now.

BTW, is it possible to use prevu as a clean building environment, like chroot? I wanted to build some packages which are not in Feisty or Debian but my root partition is too small at the moment to have 2 bases.
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.10
    Two Dell laptops with 14.04

Beans

I edited the debian/control file and put liblame-dev in there but Prevu still refuses to compile Kaffeine with Lame encoding support. Do you know why this is?
    Look into debian/rules:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/make -f

include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
    include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/simple-patchsys.mk
    include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/kde.mk

DEB_INSTALL_MANPAGES_kaffeine := debian/kaffeine.1
    DEB_CONFIGURE_EXTRA_FLAGS := --without-gstreamer --without-lame

install/kaffeine::
    	install -D -p -m0644 debian/kaffeine.xpm debian/kaffeine/usr/share/pixmaps/kaffeine.xpm
    	install -D -p -m0644 debian/kaffeine.lintian-overrides debian/kaffeine/usr/share/lintian/overrides/kaffeine
    It states --without-lame I guess if you remove this option, it should build with lame
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.10
    Two Dell laptops with 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes! That's it!

Thanks Foxy =D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I edited the debian/control file and put liblame-dev in there but Prevu still refuses to compile Kaffeine with Lame encoding support. Do you know why this is?
    It may need a --enable-something flag (like --enable-lame) to be added to debian/rules's ./configure line. Consult Kaffeine's source documentation to figure out exactly what it takes to enable lame.
    BTW, has anyone successfully backported Firefox 2.0 using Prevu? I was backporting to Dapper but Prevu failed right at the end. Not sure what went wrong
    Ubuntu Firefox has so many Ubuntu-specific integration patches that I doubt it'd compile against any version of Ubuntu except the one it was destined for. You'd have better luck doing a binary install of Firefox into /opt, /usr/local, or your home directory from mozilla.org's official binaries. Oh yeah, backporting Firefox 2.0 will break all the packages listed in apt-cache rdepends firefox and also anything that depends on libnss, libnspr, and such libraries. In other words, don't do it.

If it were that easy to give Dapper users Firefox 2.0, wouldn't you expect me to have backported it officially to Dapper a lot earlier?
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    As I remember the backports team tried to backport 1.5 in Breezy but gave up due to many problems. Maybe it is easier now.
    Ha! nope. I gave it a good 30-minute look when edgy finalized and it absolutely trashed Dapper until I could rebuild all its reverse deps which was a good 30 packages or so. Not gonna do something that intrusive, or else I'd have to start coining "half-releases" and gathering a Backports Release team to press 6.10.5 CD's

However, currently 2.0.0.1 will backport from Feisty to Edgy with prevu, if you are really jumping up and down for that security fix. The real one is being delayed by (1) the holiday break (2) upgrade break paranoia

BTW, is it possible to use prevu as a clean building environment, like chroot? I wanted to build some packages which are not in Feisty or Debian but my root partition is too small at the moment to have 2 bases.
    Prevu is a clean building environment, it's pbuilder, which basically makes and destroys chroots. The only difference is it puts that ~6.10prevu1 version trailer to not cause you upgrade hell in the future.

You can even remove that by editing prevu's source code and replacing those trailers with blank strings using a find-replace.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just installed and tried prevu to build a backport of gaim for edgy which seems to have worked fine. Before I install, I'm curious about what to do if I want to return to the original edgy version. Can this be done? How?

Thanks.
    David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by david.rahrer View Post
    I just installed and tried prevu to build a backport of gaim for edgy which seems to have worked fine. Before I install, I'm curious about what to do if I want to return to the original edgy version. Can this be done? How?

Thanks.
    Use Synaptic's Force Version feature or from the command-line,

apt-get install gaim/edgy gaim-data/edgy

You do need to keep a complete list of all the package names updated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ah, cool. Thank you
    David

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, one more question. Each time I run prevu, even when the build is successful, I get the following in the output:
    W: /home/username/.pbuilderrc does not exist
    Is this something I need to fix?
    David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No, it's no biggie, .pbuilderrc can override some aspects of pbuilder behavior on a per-user basis. Look at /etc/pbuilderrc for an example of what a pbuilderrc can configure.

This is a totally optional configuration file if you have special needs.

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast