Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

BBC to work with MSFT for "digital future"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092800532.html

BBC teams up with Microsoft for digital future

By Kate Holton
    Reuters
    Thursday, September 28, 2006; 9:09 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC.UL) is teaming up with Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O) to help develop the next generation of Internet services for the world's biggest public broadcaster.

BBC chief Mark Thompson met Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates in Seattle on Wednesday to sign the non-exclusive memorandum of understanding and discuss the BBC's digital strategy.

The companies said on Thursday they would examine plans for the BBC's vast online archive, ways to share its programming and a re-invented BBC Web site in the form of Web 2.0 -- the second generation of Internet-based services.

"Microsoft's strength is in driving digital innovation and our vision is to open up rich, new consumer experiences that allow people to enjoy digital content anytime, anywhere and on any device," Gates said.

"This vision fits squarely with the BBC's charter to lead the industry in delivering content that is compelling and accessible."

Thompson said the BBC needed to link up with leading technology companies to put it in a strong position to embrace the creative challenges of the digital future.

"We are currently witnessing unprecedented rates of change in technology and audience expectations," he said.

A spokeswoman for the BBC said Thompson and the BBC's director of new media and technology, Ashley Highfield, were in the United States to meet several other technology companies.

Highfield said the BBC needed to work with as many companies as possible in this sector to ensure its programs and content are enjoyed by the widest possible audience.

The statement said any actual procurements of new technology or a launch of new services by the public broadcaster would be subject to the usual regulatory approval.

Comment: Kiss the BBC's free and open-source advocacy good-bye along with their open-source codec development and any hope of getting BBC content in a free/open-source codec.

This is a major defeat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: BBC to work with MSFT for "digital future"

your only defeated when you loose your life; this is just the begining of the battle to save online media from the clutches of the evil empire!

I'll be one of those people getting in touch with the BBC and my local MP and various other people to try and lean on them in a way which makes open codecs and open formats very important.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmmm ...

Beans

"Microsoft's strength is in driving digital innovation and our vision is to open up rich, new consumer experiences that allow people to enjoy digital content anytime, anywhere and on any device," Gates said.

"This vision fits squarely with the BBC's charter to lead the industry in delivering content that is compelling and accessible."
    Wonder if linux falls under "any device", otherwise it would be like: anytime, anywhere and on any device, oh and by the way, you have to pay 100+ dollar for a windows licence.

Beans

Bye bye Dirac!
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I emailed the BBC a while back expressing my concerns about, mostly, DRM. Despite me repeatedly stating that I was concerned about the BBCs web content, here's their reply:

Code:
    Dear Mr H

Thank you for your e-mail.

Having checked, I can assure you that the BBC has no plans for DRM use on domestic radio at present, nevertheless, I appreciate that you have strong feelings with regard to this matter, and we do find that our listeners' opinions offer an invaluable source of feedback for us. Your views have therefore been registered and made available to BBC management.

Styles and policies are continually being assessed and changed based on feedback from the general public, and comments such as your own form a vital part of the monitoring process we constantly undertake.

Thank you again for taking the time to outline your concerns to us.

Regards

Dermot Lynn
    BBC Information

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    I emailed the BBC a while back expressing my concerns about, mostly, DRM. Despite me repeatedly stating that I was concerned about the BBCs web content, here's their reply:
    I am not really concerned about DRM in this case, I would be concerned if this meant that the content is now viewable on my OS of choice.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    I am not really concerned about DRM in this case, I would be concerned if this meant that the content is now viewable on my OS of choice.
    correct.

Victory for the boys in blue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    your only defeated when you loose your life[...]

I'll be one of those people getting in touch with the BBC and my local MP and various other people to try and lean on them in a way which makes open codecs and open formats very important.
    First of all, this is really a very inspiring thought. Secondly, you're right in making what you can to change things. That's a wonderful spirit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    You're not skeptical that Microsoft's conditions entail microsoft (ie, Windows) formats, hence DRM?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast