Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu i686 idea

Beans

Re: Ubuntu i686 idea

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    To be honest with you, I'm perfectly happy with the performance of both my ubuntu machines, and I doubt that I would really feel it if I were running k7/686smp optimized everything. But I would guess that quite a few people would be interested, so would it be possible to get a community effort, using smt like distcc, to generate a variety of builds ? Or would packages built this way not be trustworthy ?
    Did we ask why to do it? No. Did we ask if it's needed? No. Did we asked if anyone but us wants it to be done? No. Do we want anyone to work on it? No, we wan't to do it in our free time...

We will not try to force anyone to use our work, so pleas don't you try to force us to give up

Purpose of this thread was to ask people if anyone have experience in building binary packages on other distros. Anything that's not about that or other compiling / proggraming issues will not make us to look different on it. It would only make the thread longer and harder to read. (After reading this again: looks like a spam definition, don't it?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by dusu
    I think I have to diagree with you Leif.
    I now use a 686 kernel, and can feel the difference with the default 386 one, on my pretty old laptop. So I guess (though I'm not sure) that using i686 compiled programs should make some difference.
    If things do work faster, I'm all for it. I already use optimized kernels, and if optimized packages existed I would use them too. What I meant was that I'm not too bothered, but if for others this is important it's a great idea, and I would happily contribute spare cpu cycles if I could. There's a similar thread to this going on though, and one objection was that this would lead to hugely increased repository sizes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dusu
    I think I have to diagree with you Leif.
    I now use a 686 kernel, and can feel the difference with the default 386 one, on my pretty old laptop. So I guess (though I'm not sure) that using i686 compiled programs should make some difference.
    dusu, nice to know you're on the same side that we

Aslo... We want to make it possible to use i686 packages. If anyone is happy now - great! He don't need us, but why does they wan't us not to do this?... I dunno.

Astrophobos - If we can transplant apt-build into Arch (most of our computing power works under Arch), we will try

Beans

There's a similar thread to this going on though
    I've read this thread... But it was "if to do it in mainstream", and here is "we decided - we will do it. Now is about how"

one objection was that this would lead to hugely increased repository sizes.
    We will be able to run our own repository.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Molot
    Did we ask why to do it? No. Did we ask if it's needed? No. Did we asked if anyone but us wants it to be done? No. Do we want anyone to work on it? No, we wan't to do it in our free time...

We will not try to force anyone to use our work, so pleas don't you try to force us to give up

Purpose of this thread was to ask people if anyone have experience in building binary packages on other distros. Anything that's not about that or other compiling / proggraming issues will not make us to look different on it. It would only make the thread longer and harder to read. (After reading this again: looks like a spam definition, don't it?)
    I never said anything about you giving up. Thanks for categorizing my post as spam though. I will stay out of your thread as asked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

dusu, nice to know you're on the same side that we

Aslo... We want to make it possible to use i686 packages. If anyone is happy now - great! He don't need us, but why does they wan't us not to do this?... I dunno.
    I dunno either, but just tell you:
    Go straight on, make your dreams real !
    I cannot help you more than this, but I fully support you
    When I apt-get something, I feel I'm good...
    with a single o

Beans

Oki, situation has changed...

Two of our compiling mashines will work under FreeBSD...

Any advices?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thumbs down Re: Ubuntu i686 idea

Molot (and others),

you have been pointed to the way to create optimized packages by Astrophobos -- or to be less friendly:
    Code:
    man apt-build
    However, I am not convinced at all.

1. You don't seem to have *any* proof for what you claim. Before putting such an effort into it (basically recompiling every package with higher optimizations and thoroughly testing interdependencies), I'd like to see rock-solid facts: valid benchmarks on how much performance will be gained for the amount of work required. "It feels faster" just isn't enough.
    2. You don't seem to have the faintest idea on how to do what you want. Alas, you want to build and support your own set of packages along with your own repository, all this on a non-supported architecture (FreeBSD) using cross-compilation -- if at all possible, that is. I cannot see how this is supposed to work.
    3. Being rude to other people (Leif, that is) won't help and does not add to your reputation. Also talking bullsh*t about "transplanting" apt-build to Arch tells the tale about your abilities (or the lack thereof). Granted that you don't seem to know what you are talking about, you make a lot of noise.
    My advice is: Go and get a copy of Gentoo.

If you want, you can uberoptimize and customize it to fit your needs. Maintaining an optional architecture-optimized repository of packages for Ubuntu (or any other distro) is beyond your capabilities -- you even seem to be utterly unable to bring up a simple cross-compilation environment.

So stop ranting. If you have hardware to share, contact the Ubuntu devs. Maybe they need diskspace or whatever. If you want to develop (and support and maintain) packages, do so. When you have a repository up and running, come back and tell us. There will be happy testers who want to try out your shiny new packages.

Until then, please shut the f*ck up.

Regards,
    Alexander

Beans

FreeBSD computers are only a part of computing power we have acces to. We can agree to loose it if it is not possible to use them. But it would be nice to use all we have. Running complete Ubuntu in virtual mashine (some vmware-like software) would

man apt-build - does anyone here make apt-build works? I've tried, it doesn't work on my copy of ubuntu (different problems). Aslo, if you try to do man apt-build, you will see that in section bugs there is only one word: many!

About noise or sth - as I wroted, it's only a idea...

About "transplantation" - working on chroot from Arch is possible... Then, we don't have to have kernel image in folder we chroot to, nor many other files... just as an example. So what's your problem?

About my roodnes - this is a technical/programming forum. There already was a thread in a proper forum about need (or not) of optimizations. This one was only about some possibilities. What I think is that putting here sth like a copy of a previous thread was an unneded noise.

Hardware and internet connections I have acces to - it's something I can use, but it is all about trust - I can't grant acces to a borrowed computing power.

As you would see if you would look on a posting times, I wasn't posting from some time, I just wanted to make the job started before next post. You made me to post the answer, but that's it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thumbs down Re: Ubuntu i686 idea

Molot,

FreeBSD computers are only a part of computing power we have acces to. We can agree to loose it if it is not possible to use them. But it would be nice to use all we have. Running complete Ubuntu in virtual mashine (some vmware-like software) would
    sorry, but I can't figure out what you are trying to say. What do optimized packages for Ubuntu have to do with virtual machine software?

man apt-build - does anyone here make apt-build works? I've tried, it doesn't work on my copy of ubuntu (different problems). Aslo, if you try to do man apt-build, you will see that in section bugs there is only one word: many!
    It works perfectly for many people (including me). And the "BUGS" section of the manpage doesn't really qualify for substantial commenting. It has many bugs, so what?

About noise or sth - as I wroted, it's only a idea...
    Yes, and that's exactly where the problem lies. Of course, you have the idea to do it, but obviously you don't seem to have any idea how to do it.

About "transplantation" - working on chroot from Arch is possible... Then, we don't have to have kernel image in folder we chroot to, nor many other files... just as an example. So what's your problem?
    What does chroot'ing or the kernel image of your Arch installation have to do with repackaging optimized Ubuntu software?

About my roodnes - this is a technical/programming forum. There already was a thread in a proper forum about need (or not) of optimizations. This one was only about some possibilities. What I think is that putting here sth like a copy of a previous thread was an unneded noise.
    Your whole posting is unneeded noise. You were talking about making your own optimized package set, still you are unable to compile apt-build on Arch from scratch (with a simple configure/make/make install cycle). Besides that, you haven't explained why being so keen on using Arch or FreeBSD instead of Ubuntu, which would make much more sense in terms of build management and testing.

Hardware and internet connections I have acces to - it's something I can use, but it is all about trust - I can't grant acces to a borrowed computing power.
    That, of course, is entirely your decision.

As you would see if you would look on a posting times, I wasn't posting from some time, I just wanted to make the job started before next post. You made me to post the answer, but that's it...
    You couldn't even come up with a roadmap what you are going to do next. I doubt that the "job" will ever start.

Besides all that, you haven't answered on any point of criticism I posted above, especially on the huge performance gains you claim to get. That and your obvious lack of understanding regarding package management allows only one conclusion: you are utterly wasting our time.

Regards,
    Alexander

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast