Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 59

Thread: HOWTO: Control the gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HOWTO: Control the gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

    Do you have an X server running on your local machine? If so, try to connect through sh with the following command:

    Code:
     
    ssh -Y loginname@remotecomputerip
    Because of the -Y option, the gui of the application started on your remote computer should be displayed on your local machine if there is a X server running on your local machine.

    Particularly, you should be able to start the synaptic Package Manager and reinstall vino. Afterwards, you should start "vino-preferences" from the shell which should display the gui of the preferences on your local machine. There you should be able to enable vino (=vnc server of the remote machine)

    Have a nice day.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    109

    Re: HOWTO: Control the gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

    I my windows' putty I typed the command by I get
    ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused



    Quote Originally Posted by frafu View Post
    Do you have an X server running on your local machine? If so, try to connect through sh with the following command:

    Code:
     
    ssh -Y loginname@remotecomputerip
    Because of the -Y option, the gui of the application started on your remote computer should be displayed on your local machine if there is a X server running on your local machine.

    Particularly, you should be able to start the synaptic Package Manager and reinstall vino. Afterwards, you should start "vino-preferences" from the shell which should display the gui of the preferences on your local machine. There you should be able to enable vino (=vnc server of the remote machine)

    Have a nice day.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HOWTO: Control the gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

    Is there an ssh-server running on your remote computer? (If I remember correctly, the ssh-client gets installed by the default ubuntu installation, but the ssh-server is not.) I thought that the ssh server was running on your remote computer...

    Do you have some way to access the remote computer with some shell? If so, you could use the command
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    to install the ssh-server.

    Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge about this things.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    92
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: HOWTO: Control the gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

    Code:
    gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/remote_access/enabled true
    This doesn't actually stop or start the server, it just enables or disables the item in the configuration file.

    Code:
    $ gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/remote_access/enabled true
    jpruitt@winkypop:~$ nmap localhost
    
    Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-07-10 15:09 EDT
    Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
    Not shown: 1712 closed ports
    PORT    STATE SERVICE
    22/tcp  open  ssh
    631/tcp open  ipp
    
    Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.069 seconds
    The vino binary lives here:

    Code:
    /usr/lib/vino/vino-server
    I discovered this while researching after my vino server crashed when I tried to set rotation to normal in the resolution preferences dialog.

    Unfortunately starting the server from the command line doesn't seem to make it read the configuration stored in your home directory, and since there's no documentation available I don't know which switches to use to make it read the config, nor do I know what the switches are to specify them on the command line.

    Code:
    $ 10/07/2008 03:18:19 PM Autoprobing TCP port
    10/07/2008 03:18:19 PM Autoprobing selected port 5900
    10/07/2008 03:18:19 PM Advertising security type: 'TLS' (18)
    10/07/2008 03:18:19 PM Advertising authentication type: 'VNC Authentication' (2)
    10/07/2008 03:18:19 PM Advertising security type: 'VNC Authentication' (2)
    
    jpruitt@winkypop:~$ nmap localhost
    
    Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-07-10 15:20 EDT
    10/07/2008 03:20:48 PM Got connection from client localhost
    10/07/2008 03:20:48 PM   other clients:
    Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
    Not shown: 1711 closed ports
    PORT     STATE SERVICE
    22/tcp   open  ssh
    631/tcp  open  ipp
    5900/tcp open  vnc
    
    Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.070 seconds
    Unfortunately there is no man page for vino-server.
    Last edited by foxmajik; July 10th, 2008 at 08:38 PM.
    --
    Ubuntu 10.10 |
    AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz C3 | http://foxcub.net/

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Southwestern US
    Beans
    108
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: HOWTO: Control the gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

    Documentation for the vino-server seems hard to come by, indeed.

    One option would be to configure a user to automatically log into the desktop on startup, then restart the machine. That should get the vino server running again, without having to get some hands on the physical console.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    92
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: HOWTO: Control the gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

    Quote Originally Posted by srf21c View Post
    Documentation for the vino-server seems hard to come by, indeed.

    One option would be to configure a user to automatically log into the desktop on startup, then restart the machine. That should get the vino server running again, without having to get some hands on the physical console.
    Yes and then anyone who walked by the computer could drop in and delete your / directory, view all of your private documents, impersonate you on the Internet and all sorts of other fun things. I wish more people would do this.
    --
    Ubuntu 10.10 |
    AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz C3 | http://foxcub.net/

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    8

    Re: HOWTO: Control the gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

    Sorry to bump an old thread, but we have three desktops with wired connections, one running Hardy and the other two Intrepid, and vino-server works fine on them. But we also have a laptop running Intrepid, and even with automatic login enabled and remote desktop enabled, the server just never runs unless we run /usr/lib/vino/vino-server manually.

    We think this is because the wireless card doesn't get initialized until after the user has automatically been logged in, creating a race condition where vino-server is trying to get an IP address that may or may not exist. But the gconftool commands also don't seem to cause vino-server to run.

    Anyone have any ideas about this? I'm just about to install x11vnc and make a script to run it remotely like I used to have to do under Mandriva, but just using Vino would be more convenient.

    Quote Originally Posted by foxmajik View Post
    Yes and then anyone who walked by the computer could drop in and delete your / directory, view all of your private documents, impersonate you on the Internet and all sorts of other fun things. I wish more people would do this.
    I'm sure glad I don't live in a group home.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    17

    Post HOWTO: Turn on Ubuntu's gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

    It's nice that all the information needed is practically linked to from this thread. However, I'm the sort of guy that likes it all in one spot.

    Turn on Ubuntu's built-in VNC server when all you have is SSH: (may have to have the user logged on to the desktop already, I haven't looked into that part of things at all)

    Code:
    gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/remote_access/enabled true
    gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/remote_access/vnc_password cXdlcnR5
    gconftool-2 -s -t list --list-type string
    /desktop/gnome/remote_access/authentication_methods '[vnc]'
    gconftool-2 --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/remote_access/prompt_enabled 0
    Make an SSH tunnel to port 5900 and use a VNC viewer to connect.

    Note that when you set the vnc_password, it expects it to be base64 encoded. So you'll be able to tell that my VNC password above is simply "qwerty". There are plenty of online base64 encoders and decoders to help you generate your own password.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Southwestern US
    Beans
    108
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: HOWTO: Control the gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

    Thanks for consolidating the info into a single post. Good idea.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    44
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

    Question Re: HOWTO: Turn on Ubuntu's gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

    Quote Originally Posted by MidSpeck View Post
    Turn on Ubuntu's built-in VNC server when all you have is SSH: (may have to have the user logged on to the desktop already, I haven't looked into that part of things at all)

    Code:
    gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/remote_access/enabled true
    ...
    Make an SSH tunnel to port 5900 and use a VNC viewer to connect.
    I know that this command used to work in one of the older versions of Ubuntu (prior to Intrepid Ibex, I believe). However, in the last few releases, this command only works locally. That is, if I run it over an SSH connection, it does nothing. If I run it locally, it actually enables vino server.

    Has anyone else noticed this problem? I have noticed it in both Intrepid Ibex (8.10) and Jaunty Jackalope (9.04). How can I get the old functionality back?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •