Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Control the gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Control the gnome VNC vino-server from the command line

I did the upgrade this afternoon and the update manager asked me several times whether I wanted to keep a specific old configuration file from dapper instead of installing the new one. As I kept the old configuration file for the remote desktop (and few others), I was able to connect with my vnc client at once after booting to edgy.

frafu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Excellent! In answer to your question, I think the bottom line is this; If you want the vino server to start hands-free after a reboot, you need to have automatic login to the desktop enabled.
    Last edited by srf21c; October 17th, 2006 at 11:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I know it's digging up an old thread, but one could install a windows xserver (cygwin has one, or Xming is good) and enable X forwarding in putty. It's even easier if your local machine is also linux:
    Code:
    $ ssh -XC user@host
    Then you could open vino-preferences remotely. vino-preferences is a simple enough GUI that even across a pretty slow connection it still responds decently.

EDIT: I meant uppercase C for compression. Good for slower speed connections. Lowercase c will cause an error. Sorry. Thanks to srfc21 for pointing that out.
    Last edited by bobpaul; March 28th, 2007 at 06:43 AM.
    Search first, ask questions later!
    From Thread Tools, "Mark this thread as solved" if your problem's been solved.

Beans
    Distro

vino-preferences over ssh tunnel

Bob,

_great_ suggestion....much more elegant than my approach. Thanks for adding that to the thread.

Btw, have you tested it succesfully?
    Last edited by srf21c; March 20th, 2007 at 01:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah, I use Xming and putty's X-Forwarding optional from my WinXP machine at work to access my home machine all the time! Errm, I mean... I only do work related things at work.

Bigger apps, like firefox, are pretty unresponsive, but small config windows like this work just fine. For reference, I have 128kbps upstream on my home connection. I think your command line solution would be the best method over something like dialup as it might take a few minutes for the dialog to "stabilize" on a really slow connection like that.
    Search first, ask questions later!
    From Thread Tools, "Mark this thread as solved" if your problem's been solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To open the "Login Window" preferences, you have to type into the terminal after opening your ssh -Y connection:

Code:
    sudo gdmsetup
    To open the "Remote Desktop" preferences, you have to type into the terminal:

Code:
    sudo vino-preferences
    But, the changes made in the forwarded preferences seem not to be effective in the session created by the auto-login at startup.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    $ ssh -Xc user@host
    Bob, I think the original command example you gave above might have a typo.

The lowercase -c option specifies the cipher to use, whereas the uppercase -C option enables compression. Did you mean to use the uppercase -C to enable compression? like this:

Code:
    ssh -XC user@host

Beans

Hmm. I know this is an old thread, but... does this work? I don't think you should use sudo with vino-preferences, because your vino preferences are per-user. If you use sudo vino-preferences, it would set the preferences for root, and not the user.

Therefore I propose that you login as the user you want to desktop control, and then just simply do vino-preferences.

However, I could be totally wrong, however it works fine for me. Thanks for the -X suggestion, i never even thought of doing that.

Beans

I have Dapper without keyboard and monitor and I need to connect the desktop to upgrade to Edgy. Remote access seems to be the only options thus far... I have access to a sh session thru putty.

I managed to start x, vino and gdm - when I connect to the box with VNC client it looks like it's connecting but the client doesn't display any window - it looks that in background... If I kill the vino server I get the windows that the connection has been disconnected....

What's wrong ? It looks that the server awaits for acceptance from the server but I don't get any window since I'm in sh, I only get a broadcast that a connection has been established

Any help?

Beans

Just realised that my vino server is not starting anymore

mc@gsi:/tmp$ sudo /usr/lib/vino/vino-server

(vino-server:31773): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Any good tips ?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast