Thread: Formatting hard drive through live CD ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Formatting hard drive through live CD ?

A friend of mine has a computer thats badly messed up, they are unable to reformat through their normal stuff. I was thinking, is it possible through something like knoppix, to reformat the hard drive, so that it could be then reformatted to windows ?

If so, how would I go about it to do it all, mount the hard drive as read, and format the whole deal correctly for her ?

cheers!

Re: Formatting hard drive through live CD ?

Quote Originally Posted by weasel fierce View Post
    A friend of mine has a computer thats badly messed up, they are unable to reformat through their normal stuff. I was thinking, is it possible through something like knoppix, to reformat the hard drive, so that it could be then reformatted to windows ?

If so, how would I go about it to do it all, mount the hard drive as read, and format the whole deal correctly for her ?

cheers!
    If you just want to blank the drive so you can repartition it and start over, try Killdisk. It's free and resets the entire drive to zeroes.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro

that looks handy. Need to check if that computer has a floppy drive though.

Beans

If I correctly understand what you are asking, you might try booting the Ubuntu live CD and starting gparted from the terminal. It will give you a graphical representation of the drives on your friend's computer and allow you do delete existing partitions and reformat them in a number of different ways, including FAT, FAT32 and NTFS.

Good luck!

As an afterthought, there is also a gparted live CD that is a smaller download and does the same thing. Very handy tool to have around. It is available at the gparted Sourceforge site.
    Last edited by alcamus; September 27th, 2006 at 02:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro

What format do I need to make the partition in, in order for the computer to be able to later install windows on it without trouble ?

Quote Originally Posted by alcamus View Post
    If I correctly understand what you are asking, you might try booting the Ubuntu live CD and starting gparted from the terminal. It will give you a graphical representation of the drives on your friend's computer and allow you do delete existing partitions and reformat them in a number of different ways, including FAT, FAT32 and NTFS.
    That's actually a really good idea too. I was going to suggest booting into an Ubuntu live CD (or any live CD really), opening a terminal and ...

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    sudo shred -n 1 -v -z /dev/hdXY
    and then running cfdisk to repartition it, and mkfs to reformat. But alcamus's suggestion is much more fun.

And a lot less gobbledygook!

What format do I need to make the partition in, in order for the computer to be able to later install windows on it without trouble ?
    Probably FAT32 for Win98/Me or earlier. NTFS for Win2K or later. What system to you want to install? Win2K and XP will allow you to format the drive as part of the installation, but I don't remember about 95/98/Me.

that looks handy. Need to check if that computer has a floppy drive though.
    It'll run off CD too, or USB drive if your computer will boot from USB.

Beans
    Distro

Its win2K, and so far, trying to format from her install CD has proven unsuccessfull. Im not sure yet if it may be the CD, but I figured I'd give it a shot clearing the partition alltogether, and then going from there.

You guys are the bomb, btw