Thread: Advancemame and Advancemenu

Beans

Advancemame and Advancemenu

Hi everybody,

I tried compiling advancemame and advancemenu for a long time now and finally I did it! (or did I?)
    I used checkinstall to keep track of the packages and I had problems with one conflicting with a similar file present in both packages. Nothing that a dpkg i --force-all wouldn't do, right? Now when I try to run advancemenu it says It didn't find any working emulators (although I have xmame working?) and advancemame complains about the Kernel Framebuffer interface.
    On the other hand I tried to compile the newest svgalib and the only thing I got was the exposure of my compiling shortcomings.
    Would ANYONE be so kind and give us arcade gamers some pointers or a how-to on how to deal with those or PRETTY PLEASE provide packages?
    Absolutely any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    "Appear where they cannot go, head for where they least expect you. To travel hundreds of miles without fatigue, go over land where there are no people."

Beans

Re: Advancemame and Advancemenu

I guess nobody knows how to do that...
    "Appear where they cannot go, head for where they least expect you. To travel hundreds of miles without fatigue, go over land where there are no people."

Beans

bump?

Beans

bump-de-bump?

Beans

So did you ever get this sorted? I'm having a problem with fb: unsupported in x myself... If you dig around the documentation that came with AdvanceMENU (should be somewhere in /docs on your hard disk) you'll see something that will help you set up AdvanceMENU. There is a file called something like advance.rc sitting in /home/adam/.advance that needs lines saying "emulator" and "emulator_roms" - these tell AdvanceMENU where the emulator you want to use is located, as well as where the ROMs are located. The documentation also says that advmenu can "auto-configure" if you run it in the same dir as your emulator. Of course, I can't test that this is everything because... fb: unsupported in x....

Beans

I'm using Edgy and I can compile Advancemame no problems but Advance menu fails to compile with the following errors:

advance/menu/emulator.h:44: error: extra qualification ‘emulator::’ on member ‘attrib_compile’
    advance/menu/emulator.h:366: error: extra qualification ‘generic::’ on member ‘load_info’

Can anyone please shed some light on what this might mean?

Cheers

--------------------------------------------
    By Hook or by Crook... We Will!
    --------------------------------------------

Beans

I have compiled advancedMenu with Feisty Fawn; wasn't compiling until I tweaked a header as described on this page:

http://enzerink.net/peter/wiki/index...ebMAME#svaglib

I quote from that link:

Download the advancemenu source code then change to advancemenu directory and configure the build process.

We need to fix a couple of bugs in an advancemenu header file along the way.

$ wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/a...ar.gz?download
    $ tar -xvf advancemenu-2.4.13.tar.gz
    $ cp advancemenu-2.4.13/advance/menu/emulator.h advancemenu-2.4.13/advance/menu/emulator.h.orig
    $ sed -e 's/emulator::attrib_compile/attrib_compile/g' < advancemenu-2.4.13/advance/menu/emulator.h.orig > advancemenu-2.4.13/advance/menu/emulator.h.p1
    $ sed -e 's/generic::load_info/load_info/g' < advancemenu-2.4.13/advance/menu/emulator.h.p1 > advancemenu-2.4.13/advance/menu/emulator.h
    $ cd advancemenu-2.4.13 ; ./configure --prefix=/usr
    At this point the configuration script will run and check whether optional libraries are available or not. At end of the process a summary of supported options is displayed which should match this:

== Drivers/Libraries ==
    Video : fb slang ncurses sdl
    Sound : alsa oss sdl
    Keyboard : sdl raw event
    Joystick : sdl raw event
    Mouse : sdl raw event
    Misc : zlib expat pthread freetype2

If the make options are the same you can now compile the advancemenu source code:

$ make

If the (lengthy) compilation completes successfully, the program and support files can be installed:

$ sudo make install

Beans

I created .deb packages of AdvanceMenu 2.4.13 and AdvanceMame 0.106 for Ubuntu Gutsy.

http://rapidshare.com/files/96721182..._i386.deb.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/96721185..._i386.deb.html

Beans

I think part of your problems is that advancemenu is supposed to be used with advancemame and not xmame.

Thanks for the packages Mike. I will try them out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mega_Mike View Post
    I created .deb packages of AdvanceMenu 2.4.13 and AdvanceMame 0.106 for Ubuntu Gutsy.

http://rapidshare.com/files/96721182..._i386.deb.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/96721185..._i386.deb.html
    Is there a chance you could create .deb packages for Hardy on x86_64 architecture as well?