Thread: Setting up ubuntu for some older people getting their first pc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Setting up ubuntu for some older people getting their first pc?

Some friends of my parents who are in their 70s are thinking about getting a computer to communicate with friends living in other countries and maybe use some basic photo editing software. I was thinking of installing ubuntu but I want to make it extra simple with a menu like Mac OS where the few applications they want to use will be right there, represented with pictures. Are there any versions of ubuntu or linux/bsd in general which are designed for this purpose?

I will be setting it up and I reasonably competant with linux and computers so any ideas that require manual customisation will be ok.

Thanks in advance
    rocktorrentz

edit: I'm going to post this in another part of the forums because it isn't strictly about accessibility.
    Last edited by rocktorrentz; September 24th, 2006 at 07:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Setting up ubuntu for some older people getting their first pc?

i just installed kubuntu for my father inlaw and he is 70. i choose the kde interface because he was used to windows. IMO kde is more similiar than gnome in that respect I left every thing default except increasing the font size for readablilty. thats it asfar as my experiance goes. good luck