Thread: So this WPA thing...any easier in Eft?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

So this WPA thing...any easier in Eft?

Ok, I got brave tonight and thought, I am going to get WPA working on this laptop. But uh, after I read through a guide I saw here, my head started to swim, dizzy even.

Is getting WPA going to be easy to activate in Edgy Eft, because to be honest, all this linux header stuff and driver chipset stuff really freaks me out. I dont mind learning, but, dang, that was a bit much of tutorial for me....or it could be the Captain Morgan talking to me right now...HAAAARRRRRR!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: So this WPA thing...any easier in Eft?

Captain Morgan must be an alcoholic drink. Anyhow, setting up WPA was a breeze for me. What do you have to do other than adding the key where you're supposed to add it, and clicking on "OK" or some other button? I didn't do anything through the command line, and it was pretty easy. It wasn't any more difficult than using Windows.

The fault probably lies with your wireless card, because it may be difficult to set up.

Beans

Re: So this WPA thing...any easier in Eft?

I think I know the 'guide' you are refering to. Is it the old one on the forums which requires you to compile 3 or 4 different things? If that is the giude you are refering to then that was back in breezy days, things have got a lot easier since then! As long as your wireless card doesn't need any fancy drivers then all you need to do is open synaptic and install 'network manager'. Then (after a reboot) just click on the Network Manager applet, select your network from the drop down list and click connect. It should then ask you for your network passkey, type it in and your all set. The only problem with it is that you need to type your password in every time OR store it in you keyring, in which case you have to type in a password every time to open thet . There is a way arround that (which involves making sure your keyring password is the same as your system password - search the forums for more info) but its a bit 'messy' and doesn't work 100% of the time but it works well enough for the moment. Aparently version 7 of NM will fix this so we'll just have to wait!
    The linux (lama) song
    Here's a linux, there's a linux and another little linux, fuzzy linux, funny linux, linux linux, Duck!
    Linux linux, Ubuntu linux, Warthog, Hedgehog, Badger linux
    Linux linux, Dapper linux, dapper, dapper, duck!