Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: WPA with wpa_supplicant

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HowTo: WPA with wpa_supplicant

I have network manager installed, i even reinstalled it, and it still doesn't seem to work right. It sees wired network but not wireless, maybe i am not useing it correctly, i do see a signal strength up in the upper right, which when i open gives me some network into, i can click configure and then i can see my network configuration setting to which i can click on configure of my wireless device and then i can see a drop down list of networks in the area, but there is only a spot for a wep key, and WPA doesn't work.

As this is getting way off topic, i am going to start a new thread in the noob section, but thanks to everyone here since i at least could connect by altering the interface file and wpa_supplicant.conf,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I had looked everywhere and could not get WIFI working until I found this thread.

Therefore, I would vote to make this thread a sticky.
    ASUS A8N32-SLI, AMD X2 4200+ (200x11=2.2GHz)
    Corsair XMS 2048 2-3-3-6-1T @ 2.6V, eVGA 7800GT , WD 74GB Raptor,WD 250GB Sata2
    Windows XP Pro, Ubuntu 6.06
    Dell C840 Lappy Ubuntu 6.06 w/WPA wifi, Dell P3 500 Ubuntu 6.06 w/SCSI scanner,samba

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

great info luca
    using a ipw2200 with wpa-psk ccmp here and couldnt get network manager to act reliably

I would connect and drop until I removed all TKIP references and the RSN for wpa_supplicant.conf which I thought was weird. Then I'd connect longer and die until I commented out the ap_scan command. I had it commented out originally but it still wouldnt connect for longer than a few seconds.

The essid parameter in network/interfaces has disappeared.
    And now my connection has dropped again.

I can see (network monitor) and hear (the minipci card buzzes when it scans) my adapter falling into scan mode. I think there was a bug in the ipw2200 driver that it defaulted to scanning constantly - that was patched in march so this kernel driver is old. Im gonna try to throw it an option that is supposed to stop it, i think it was hwcrypto=0 I have to check on that one

How do I set permanent ip,gateway and dns settings for my wireless adapter? If I set them using the network monitor(gnome panel) they reset the adapter and the adapter generally doesnt reauthenticate with the ap. If I set them in the etc/network/interfaces they are ignored in part when I throw an ifup/ifdown to the interface. My ip might get set but the route might not.

what overwrites the interfaces file?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

echo options ipw2200 hwcrypto=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/ipw2200

solved all my weird problems so far

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

One thing worth noting, I mentioned that my network would work most of the time but would drop occasionally. Referencing the wpa_supplicant.conf file here...

Code:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    #ap_scan=2

network={
           ssid="your_ssid"
           scan_ssid=1
           proto=WPA RSN
           key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
           pairwise=CCMP TKIP
           group=CCMP TKIP
           psk=your_psk
    }
    I changed the one line to "proto=WPA" instead of "proto=WPA RSN" and it has not dropped since. I did this on a guess just trying things to see if it would work and it did. I knew what WPA was, but not what RSN meant and that is why I removed it. Is there someplace that explains some of these major configuration files like /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/X11/xorg.conf and all these major files a linux noob who wants to become a linux junkie should know about? I keep trying to learn more about the boot process and what happens and take it a file at a time, but if someone has advice how to learn the system, I'd definately take it. I digress. If anyone can answer the WPA vs WPA RSN and what that means, and why it may have fixed my problem, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Dell C840 Lappy Ubuntu 6.06 w/WPA wifi, Dell P3 500 Ubuntu 6.06 w/SCSI scanner,samba

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by onioneater36 View Post
    One thing worth noting, I mentioned that my network would work most of the time but would drop occasionally. Referencing the wpa_supplicant.conf file here...

Code:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    #ap_scan=2

network={
           ssid="your_ssid"
           scan_ssid=1
           proto=WPA RSN
           key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
           pairwise=CCMP TKIP
           group=CCMP TKIP
           psk=your_psk
    }
    I changed the one line to "proto=WPA" instead of "proto=WPA RSN" and it has not dropped since. I did this on a guess just trying things to see if it would work and it did. I knew what WPA was, but not what RSN meant and that is why I removed it. Is there someplace that explains some of these major configuration files like /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/X11/xorg.conf and all these major files a linux noob who wants to become a linux junkie should know about? I keep trying to learn more about the boot process and what happens and take it a file at a time, but if someone has advice how to learn the system, I'd definately take it. I digress. If anyone can answer the WPA vs WPA RSN and what that means, and why it may have fixed my problem, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    check out the wpa supplicant website it has alot of info and the readme files that break down all the wpa_supplicant.conf options

rsn is wpa2, listing it as a possible option shouldnt effect the connectivity of other encryption protocols but it did for me too

http://hostap.epitest.fi/cgi-bin/vie...ype=text/plain
    http://hostap.epitest.fi/cgi-bin/vie...ype=text/plain

if u want to learn about anything id suggest using google to research the program/technology etc that youre interested in learning

gentoo forums and wiki are jampacked with info - remember to omit words with less than 4 letters in your searches on many sites including ubuntuforums, they will turn up blank - google wont do that and has a fair amount of the info here and on other forums indexed

good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

looks like ifup/down is the best tool

here's my wireless section of /etc/network/interfaces

Code:
    #wireless

iface 	eth1 inet static
    	pre-up modprobe ipw2200
    	pre-up wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -ieth11 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    	address 192.168.98.71
    	netmask 255.255.255.0
    	gateway 192.168.89.178
    	wireless-essid leper
    	wireless-mode Managed
    	post-down rmmod ipw2200
    	post-down rmmod ieee80211
    	post-down rmmod ieee80211_crypt_ccmp
    	post-down rmmod ieee80211_crypt
    	post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant
    that way i dont have to hear the adapter scan and everything gets a restart when I bring it back up

Beans

The "proto=WPA RSN" parameter does not cause any issue to me...that's strange. It could probably depend on how your routers handles the authentication.
    Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I'll add that suggestion (that is removing the "RSN" string to the HowTo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by onioneater36 View Post
    I had looked everywhere and could not get WIFI working until I found this thread.

Therefore, I would vote to make this thread a sticky.
    Oh, thanks so much. I'm glad to have helped you out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Sorry to report that I am still having problems. This is really frustrating the heck out of me. I won't report anything else unless I am sure what fixed it, but when I run "iwevent" in a terminal window, I still get...

Waiting for Wireless Events from interfaces...
    17:24:29.917329 ath0 New Access Point/Cell address:Not-Associated
    17:24:30.022573 ath0 Set ESSID:"my_network_id"
    17:24:32.262922 ath0 Scan request completed
    17:24:32.263077 ath0 Set ESSID:"my_network_id"
    17:24:32.266839 ath0 New Access Point/Cell address:00:0F:B5:10:F9:77
    17:24:32.396782 ath0 Custom driver event:MLME-REPLAYFAILURE.indication(keyid=0 unicast addr=00:0f:b5:23:bd:15)
    17:24:42.304204 ath0 New Access Point/Cell address:Not-Associated
    17:24:42.304391 ath0 Set ESSID: off/any
    17:24:44.543386 ath0 Scan request completed
    17:24:44.543569 ath0 Set ESSID:"my_network_id"
    It seems to come back soon enough, but sometimes it just keeps playing now you see me now you don't. I have loosened up some things on my router (no Super-G, no MAC address address list, broadcast SSID=yes, etc). I will keep pluggin' and chuggin' and will report if the problem is solved. Any ideas are sincerely appreciated (especially based on the error messages I have listed above from "iwevent".

Should I maybe download the source for the latest version of madwifi and wpa_supplicant and try updating? I have whatever comes with Ubuntu 6.06 LTS 32bit at present. I am also considering trying the NDISWRAPPER method as well, but right now, this is the closest I have gotten, so I don't want to persue that yet.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast