Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: WPA with wpa_supplicant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: HowTo: WPA with wpa_supplicant

yopnono...

I assume you wanted me to check in gnome under SYSTEM > ADMINISTRATION > SYSTEM MONITOR and I did not see even 1 instance of either wpa_supplicant or dhclient. Is there something at the command line you wanted me to execute to examine these processes?
    ASUS A8N32-SLI, AMD X2 4200+ (200x11=2.2GHz)
    Corsair XMS 2048 2-3-3-6-1T @ 2.6V, eVGA 7800GT , WD 74GB Raptor,WD 250GB Sata2
    Windows XP Pro, Ubuntu 6.06
    Dell C840 Lappy Ubuntu 6.06 w/WPA wifi, Dell P3 500 Ubuntu 6.06 w/SCSI scanner,samba

Beans

from terminal
    ps -A

Beans

Moreover, did you add the SSID also to the configuration of your wireless card in Gnome network-admin?

Beans

From what you have written, I see you have an Atheros-based wireless card, so in the wpa_supplicant run command you should change "-Dwext" into "-Dmadwifi".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just wanted everyone to know that I got my WMP54GS card running WPA TKIP using ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant - NOT the bcm43xx driver. Thanks everyone for your help and assistance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by luca_linux View Post
    From what you have written, I see you have an Atheros-based wireless card, so in the wpa_supplicant run command you should change "-Dwext" into "-Dmadwifi".
    Woops. Sorry. I should have mentioned that I did use -Dmadwifi and I also used -iath0 as my interface has the different designation. Thank you.

I will try the ps -A when I get home this evening. Thanks. I have also noticed that if I am using the network with heavy traffic over the wifi it seems to stay up. Droppings seems to occur during no/low usage.
    ASUS A8N32-SLI, AMD X2 4200+ (200x11=2.2GHz)
    Corsair XMS 2048 2-3-3-6-1T @ 2.6V, eVGA 7800GT , WD 74GB Raptor,WD 250GB Sata2
    Windows XP Pro, Ubuntu 6.06
    Dell C840 Lappy Ubuntu 6.06 w/WPA wifi, Dell P3 500 Ubuntu 6.06 w/SCSI scanner,samba

Beans

I did have a problem like yours before.
    This was because the wpa_supplicant started after suspend, so I had more then one wpa_s running and conflicting.

So I did put a killall wpa_supplicant script in the /etc/acpi/suspend.d folder. On the other hand I don't start my wpa using the interface file, I use a boot script, so it may not be the same issue.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi all,
    Don't mean to go off on a little tangent, but i have a quick question.

First off, I have everything working. I connect fine and its not problem. My issue is with my laptop when i got to different networks. its a pain to constantly change the config file and the interface. when i am going back and forth from unsecured to secured its not that bad but then i go from WPA to WPA its just a pain having to change all the files.

basically all I do is change my /etc/network/interfaces from

Code:
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid COVAD1
    pre-up wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant
    to

Code:
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid COVAD1
    #pre-up wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    #post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant
    then i have to restart the computer. I know that there is a way to restart the networking and i have tried ifdown and then ifup, but no luck. Is there a applet out there that I can create profiles for different locations so i can just switch locations and deal with changing the wpa_supplicant.conf file and the interfaces file? i am running gnome and i have tried the network configuration but no luck, it just overwrites the ESSID and nothing else.

thanks in advance and sorry for being slightly off topic, but i thought it kinda pertained to this how to

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 00trav View Post
    I connect fine and its not problem. My issue is with my laptop when i got to different networks. its a pain to constantly change the config file and the interface. when i am going back and forth from unsecured to secured its not that bad but then i go from WPA to WPA its just a pain having to change all the files.
    This wpa config used in this thread is not for you. You should use network-manager.
    You will find it in synaptic, or use the terminal.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install network-manager

Beans

Yeah, you should use network-manager. Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, it only works with DHCP.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast