Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emacs

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Emacs

Quote Originally Posted by toojays View Post
    I've not used idle, so I don't know how it compares to Emacs with python-mode. Perhaps it is better. But I suspect that idle is not so good at editing LaTeX documents. Or C code. As an Emacs user, I can write/compile/debug all these types of things within the same editor, which makes me more productive.

Specifically I use:

* Emacs with cc-mode for editing C and C++ programs, and M-x compile for compiling them. I use this for both PC programs and embedded microcontroller software.

* Emacs+AuCTeX for editing and compiling LaTeX documents.

* Emacs+python-mode for editing and executing Python code.

* Emacs+nxml-mode for editing DocBook documents. Again I use M-x compile to compile the DocBook into HTML.

* Emacs+guile-debugging mode for editing and debugging Guile code.

Sometimes I do more than one of the above at once. For instance, if I'm interfacing Guile with a C library, I will be switching between C and Guile regularly.

I should also point out that I use revision control with all these kind of things. Some projects use SVN and some use CVS, but I don't need to worry about it with Emacs, I use C-x v = and C-x v v and C-x v d and they work they same whether it's CVS or SVN. Oh, and also C-x 4 a is a good one for making ChangeLog entries.

Just a few reasons why I like Emacs . . .

does it work well with bash scripting?

Beans

I've not used it much for this, but I just loaded up a bash script to have a look. It has a shell-script mode with highlighting, indentation and keystrokes for inserting shell contructs like loops and case statements. Looks good to me.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've not used it much for this, but I just loaded up a bash script to have a look. It has a shell-script mode with highlighting, indentation and keystrokes for inserting shell contructs like loops and case statements. Looks good to me.
    sweet i installed it but all the text in it is boxes.. dang something good didnt happen in the install

Beans

Which package did you install? I suggest you install emacs-snapshot-gtk from Synaptic and use that, it is a bit nicer than emacs21.

If you are in a non-English locale, you may need to add some font packages, for example xfonts-intl-chinese. Search in Synaptic for xfonts and choose some which look appropriate.

Beans
    Hidden!

Which package did you install? I suggest you install emacs-snapshot-gtk from Synaptic and use that, it is a bit nicer than emacs21.

If you are in a non-English locale, you may need to add some font packages, for example xfonts-intl-chinese. Search in Synaptic for xfonts and choose some which look appropriate.
    ok it is nicer and it was emacs21 i installed i can tell im going to have to do some research to learn how to use it effcientyl but none the less it looks promising. it still gives me a much of boxes when say i put my mouse over some of the options in the tool bar type thing but thats fine. also im a english user

Beans

Hi
    I've been program for more than eight months now. It's not much, but I decided to use emacs over vi.
    I believe it's just a question of getting used to things. Now, I've personalized the emacs interface and it's more helpful, but if you don't want to spend the memory on the interface, then I guess the others help just as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by billyfoxtrot View Post
    If you're interested in learning Emacs, you should check out O'Reilly's "Learning GNU Emacs." I found it to be a very good tutorial and reference, although you could probably find a lot of the same information in the Emacs help pages. I just prefer to have a book in my hands.

I'll second that! The book was excellent and helped me learn what I needed in emacs very quickly. I kinda "had" to use emacs since I had discovered the handy Emacs VHDL mode and was writing a lot of VHDL code that semester. The book is still a useful reference, and I probably need to dig it out again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12