Thread: Vista Headaches.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Vista Headaches.

I recently got Vista to check it out. After installing I noticed that Microsoft being the controlling pricks they are decided you don't need any other OSs on your system. Windows overwrote Grub and I want it back. I followed a link on here that took me to a place to re-install Grub and make it my primary bootloader, but that requires me to be in Ubuntu. Something I can not accomplish given my current situation. Please tell me I will not have to re-install Ubuntu...

While you are at it, you can tell me how to get Grub back too. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Vista Headaches.

I believe that if you boot the live/installer CD, you can open a terminal window and follow the instructions you mentioned to reinstall grub.

This thread might help: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=256209

edited for spelling
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

God, you don't know how happy I was to see that it worked. I almost jumped in the air for joy, literally. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Just incase anyone stumbles across this thread sometime in the future, I ended up using this thread to do the deed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mac OS does the same sort of thing: If you boot from a Mac OS CD, as well as installing Mac OS, it stops the computer from going into Yaboot by default. Fortunately, you can always go into Open Firmware and type:

boot hd:x,yaboot

where x is the partition number of the bootloader. Then once you're in Ubuntu, you can just type ybin and off you go again.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.