Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Create a list of installed packages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HowTo: Create a list of installed packages

Quick newb question: When I run the first command, it creates the nice list, but next to each item is either the word "install" or a few say "deinstall". Why would a few of them say "deinstall"?
    You'll never shine if you don't glow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The packages that say "deinstall" are those that were installed on your system at one point, but have since been removed.

Beans

thanks this is great
    very smooth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xak View Post
    I agree on long-form parameter names. The sort was to sort the list by package types, not on package names. I am a bit quirky sometimes in how I do things, but this was intentional

##### SNIP ####
    Thanks a bunch for your comments and suggestions!
    OK, I gotta admit I only stumbled upon this thread and read a few keywords which made me think... You might want to take a look at
    www.instalinux.com

It will generate a minimal installation image of a distro you'd like, basically a netinst.

I made a debian as well as a Intrepid for myself, and I have to say this is exactly what I've been looking for ever since. A basic yet minimalistic gnome-desktop, almost any apps were installed(no evolution, no firefox, no instant-messenger, basically really nothing)

The other way round compared to deborphan, but at least as much fun (in fact, it's even more fun than continuosly uninstalling pkges, imho)

Anyway, so, if you have the feeling your dist is getting somewhat bloated again, this way at least it was your fault

No, honestly, give it a try, it's great, I always wondered why ubuntu wouldn't provide sth like that. Even the debian netinstaller is too bloated imho, 135mb one could as get from the internet.

However, takes bout 2 mins to make your selection, and another minute to create your 10MB sized iso.

Have fun.

2nd)

Script to be run at shutdown:

Either you could make it a PostSession Script, here:
    docter[~] locate Post | grep -i sessi
    /etc/gdm/PostSession
    /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default
    Or, what I prefer, have a crontab doin it.

Code:
    man cron
    for crontab reference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Very useful, thanks! If you want to see what versions of the packages you have installed try:

Code:
    dpkg-query -l
    Happily running several flavours of Ubuntu

Beans

@loomsen - I very much share your sentiment, I like to do things this way too. I prefer to build up from the minimal CD though https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD, and install packages myself from there.
    Last edited by simon_w; February 14th, 2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: realised I'd missed the point... ;)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is there also a neat trick to dump a list of repositories and reload this in a fresh install? I use several 3rd-party repos so reinstalling my package list will throw errors...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ruru, if you save your /etc/apt directory to a USB flash drive, then do a fresh install, then copy the /etc/apt directory from the flash drive to the root partition of the fresh install, then you should be good to go.

Edit: You may need to open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    to make the fresh install aware of the packages available).
    Last edited by unutbu; March 14th, 2009 at 03:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by unutbu View Post
    ruru, if you save your /etc/apt directory to a USB flash drive, then do a fresh install, then copy the /etc/apt directory from the flash drive to the root partition of the fresh install, then you should be good to go.
    Or even just your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

If you upgrade, you will obviously have to change all hardy references to intrepid etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ugm6hr, yes you are probably right

However, depending on the way the third-party repos are enabled, the necessary files might be located in /etc/apt/sources.list.d, rather than in sources.list. And then there are also the GPG keys stored in /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg... So, I figured what the heck, just save the entire /etc/apt directory ...

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast