Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text-based system

Hybrid View

Text-based system

After tinkering with this machine for a few days, and seeing how miserable it was laboring under X but how perky it was without it, I began to wonder how much can be accomplished without a graphical system.

As far as I can see, so long as you're not into photo editing or digital rendering, there are quite a few things that you can still get done without X and a GUI. mpd and/or mpc and/or ncmpc come to mind, for purposes of audio playback. There are links and w3m and the like for Web access -- sans images, of course. But that should be enough to check your email or read the news.

So anyway ... the queestion is more or less distro-independent. If you have ideas for a text-based system and what you'd use on it, I would like to hear them.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Re: Text-based system

irssi, fetchmail, procmail, msmtp, mutt, snownews, rtorrent, cmus, wget, mc, nano, vi, elinks, and hnb. All are in the repo's accept cmus which is here but mpd/ncmpc-svn is great too.

Also if you use framebuffer you can use mplayer, image viewers like fbida and links with images.
    Last edited by croak77; September 19th, 2006 at 09:25 PM.

skymt is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

^^ What he said, plus slrn. ^^
    Are you Listening?
    Are you a Hero?
    Are you Sleeping?

Beans

I forgot a couple I use, cdrecord, abcde, giftcurs, naim, lftp and netris.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can use a program called MPlay, which gives you an Ncurses interface to Mplayer.

Links2 gives you graphics through the framebuffer:

sudo links2 -g -mode 1024x768x32K
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Links2 gives you graphics through the framebuffer. ...
    Now that's slick. Any ideas on how to get the mouse to work? I'd hunt it down myself, but I have to get some sleep ...
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Hi,

I would partly disagree:

Quote Originally Posted by skymt View Post
    ^^ What he said, plus slrn. ^^
    The best text-based system would _only_ have slrn

Andrew (slrn fan-boy)
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I would add screen to this setup. Screen you would find to be an invaluable tool.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

I would say go with Slackware. You get a high console resolution, and for small console programs the installer is amazingly easy.

SC - Spreadsheet
    Emacs - Word Processor
    w3m - Console browser with image support
    naim - Instant Messager
    the list continues.
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

90-95% of my administration at work is done without a GUI across several blends and breeds of UNIX and Linux. Solaris 8, 9, and 10, IRIX, RHEL3, RHEL4, HP/UX etc etc.. Heck, even some of my very best windows tools were commandline scripts I wrote to make registry changes to over 700 machines at the same time with a little for/do logic. (do not attempt this with a workstation version of a Microsoft OS!)

For UNIX/Linux, the biggest godsend to console administration is a command called screen. I have screen configured with a .screenrc settings file that lets me very easily open several terminals within a terminal, label them, detach them with whatever program I was running in it still running, and reattach to them whenever I want with simplified hotkeys, and a session reattach script that lets me list my named sessions and attach to them in whichever sequence I want. That enables multitasking without a GUI. Then between wget, scp, vim, pico, cpio, iostat, sar, some nice broad environment variables, and some quick aliases to keep the keystrokes down, a powerful shell like tcsh or zsh, and a little bit of scipting knowledge, the only time I ever need a GUI is to troubleshoot a GUI application a user is having a problem with.

If you've never heard of, or used screen before, read its man page in ubuntu or whatever flavor you're running. Once you start playing with it, you'll really dig it. You can even set it up so that other people can connect to your 'screen' session in view only mode or interactive mode (if you are trying to show someone how to do something, for example)
    Last edited by toupeiro; August 1st, 2007 at 07:49 AM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast