Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything Radical to play with in VM?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Anything Radical to play with in VM?

Is there a radical distro out there to play with that you know of? I'm looking for something really left field.

I'm bored with EyeOS & ReactOS
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans

Re: Anything Radical to play with in VM?

Have you tried out OLPC's Sugar?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoode View Post
    Have you tried out OLPC's Sugar?
    HA! I have not , thanks for the suggestion mate.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

SymphonyOS uses the Mezzo desktop environment, which might be interesting to look at. You could also try building your own with Linux From Scratch which is a good educational opportunity to learn how the internals of a Linux distro work. There is also Nexenta which uses the OpenSolaris (another option) kernel with a GNU userland and Debian tools like APT. Think of it like the Ubuntu of OpenSolaris. And of course a variety of choices for BSD based operating systems. Minix is also very interesting. It's the OS that LInus Torvalds used while he was developing Linux. It's a free UNIX-like OS, but it is a microkernel where as LInux is monolithic. Syllable is a non-UNIX OS which has made great progress. FreeDOS is a MS-DOS type operating system which (I believe) has binary compatibility. Bell Labs, the creators of the original UNIX, also have a project called Plan 9 to improve upon UNIX and make an even better system.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhack View Post
    SymphonyOS uses the Mezzo desktop environment, which might be interesting to look at. You could also try building your own with Linux From Scratch which is a good educational opportunity to learn how the internals of a Linux distro work. There is also Nexenta which uses the OpenSolaris (another option) kernel with a GNU userland and Debian tools like APT. Think of it like the Ubuntu of OpenSolaris. And of course a variety of choices for BSD based operating systems. Minix is also very interesting. It's the OS that LInus Torvalds used while he was developing Linux. It's a free UNIX-like OS, but it is a microkernel where as LInux is monolithic. Syllable is a non-UNIX OS which has made great progress. FreeDOS is a MS-DOS type operating system which (I believe) has binary compatibility. Bell Labs, the creators of the original UNIX, also have a project called Plan 9 to improve upon UNIX and make an even better system.
    Nice post man! I've a few of my own doing specific jobs but you've given me lots of stuff to play with thanks!.

EDIT: ohh now I see why you linked Linux from scratch , how did I ever miss that site? zomg thanks.
    Last edited by Wiebelhaus; January 17th, 2008 at 05:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How about Sun's Project Indiana? http://opensolaris.org/os/project/indiana/

It is Sun's openSolaris "distro" that is supposed to be much more userfriendly than Solaris and openSolaris. It has a package manager somewhat like apt and uses ZFS for the root filesystem. Really interesting OS, I have my eye on it for sure. Still in development, but very interesting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Syllable is interesting to play with, as is Haiku (a binary-compatible BeOS clone for Intel x86 machines). I think there's a bit of friendly rivalry between the two communities even though they're not really in competition. So try them both and have your say!
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

OpenVMS would be cool but you cannot run it in a VM though. You can run it in an emulator though using SIMH

Pretty hardcore OS if you ask me.

Beans

I would recommend Solar OS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sx66gns View Post
    Nice post man! I've a few of my own doing specific jobs but you've given me lots of stuff to play with thanks!.

EDIT: ohh now I see why you linked Linux from scratch , how did I ever miss that site? zomg thanks.
    instead of minix try minix3 really interesting to pass some time..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast