Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Text-based system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Text-based system

Quote Originally Posted by xabbott View Post
    There was/is a distro out there without X that used a framebuffer to render everything too.
    GeeXBox and the Movix distros do that, and it works quite well.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

antiword will have to do, but i was hoping for something that used FB and could edit the files as well...
    I hope to try out twin soon... as soon as I get networking back working :S

btw: how do you split the screens, and how do you control which half is active?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

you could use midnight commander as a file manager (sorry for the revival... it was an interesting thread)

Beans

I've just submit a HowTo which includes info from thise thread and which will apprear soon... (some sort of summary). I been working in Command line mode for a couple of weeks (no X, just simple and plain text) and the experience has been great... the computer is so responsive (ultrafast boot time and instantaneous response) in a Laptop with Core 2 Duo T5600 and 1 GB RAM. Music and Video working fine etc.. etc..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by derjames View Post
    I've just submit a HowTo which includes info from thise thread and which will apprear soon... (some sort of summary). I been working in Command line mode for a couple of weeks (no X, just simple and plain text) and the experience has been great... the computer is so responsive (ultrafast boot time and instantaneous response) in a Laptop with Core 2 Duo T5600 and 1 GB RAM. Music and Video working fine etc.. etc..
    I'd love to see the Howto; when it's up on the Ubuntu wiki, please reply with the URL.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I'd love to see the Howto; when it's up on the Ubuntu wiki, please reply with the URL.
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=387598
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by derjames View Post
    No offense, because I think that the end result of what you have achieved is well worth it... but on that system? I would be willing to bet that nearly anything you do on that system (aside from compile) I could do just as quickly on my 1ghz Athlon machine from 6 years ago. It would seem to me that that if you wanted to just work in CLI mode, why not use older hardware? I feel like I waste the capabilities of the system listed in my sig... even running beryl/gnome.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Hi,

I would partly disagree:

Quote Originally Posted by skymt View Post
    ^^ What he said, plus slrn. ^^
    The best text-based system would _only_ have slrn

Andrew (slrn fan-boy)
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

saw this back up top, and k mandlas blog gave me the info to get a text system, which after a while of playing with was fun. Couldnt figure screen how really so i went with X + evilwm. then used xbindkeys to bind alt+F# 2-12 to have gmrun, links2, mc, gentoo, vim, leafpad, cplay, rtorrent ( loads onto second desktop and it watches a folder for new/deleted torrents and adjusts automaticly + encryption) gksu+synaptic,htop and k3b (wish i new how to burn mp3 cd's from command line). My computer is a amd 64 3000 200g HD 1 g ram, and even xubuntu seemed a bit sluggish, this just flies. I changed default terminal to urxvt, and just bringing up a terminal is as easy as ctrl+alt+enter. alt tab between full screen windows. You can use left click to move window, middle click to re-size, right click to lower window. ctrl+alt+x maxes window out verticly, cltr-alt+= totally maximises it. The key bindings, make you open and close programs very fast. ctrl+alt+ hjkl will resize your windows, so you can be completely mouse free. I imagine this would be amazing on a laptop, even and old one. I know this was about a text based system but if you must have some sort of x running, i havent seen anything that compares to the useability of evilwm+xbindkeys.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    There's also a kind of window manager for consoles that you can run without an X server. It's in the repos - it's called twin.

Interesting stuff, but I think it's probably useless really
    Yeah. It's useless. Cool, but useless.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast