Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Text-based system

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Text-based system

i've done it (for the fork of it) using elinks, pine, nano and mp3blaster. in my view, this is what pc use should be like for inmates.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    What other framebuffer apps are there?
    Well, mplayer works. There some image viewers, mythtv works with qt-embedded in directfb, dfbpoint a presentation program and there is/was a GTKfb but I think that project is dead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can someone explain more on the framebuffer deal? Is there a howto on how to get all that stuff working?
    www.runtime-era.com - Blog About My Journey as a Developer

Quote Originally Posted by era86 View Post
    Can someone explain more on the framebuffer deal? Is there a howto on how to get all that stuff working?
    It's new to me and it doesn't seem very commonplace around here. I installed links2 and got libdirectfb as well. That seems to be what got it going. Beyond that, I'm in uncharted territory.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

I just set up and configured a text-only ubuntu system - my P2 laptop.

to get it to run at a resonable resolution:
    add vga=313 to the grub kernel line

Im using nano, links2, lynx (for gmail), mpg321(not alot of multimedia needs) ssh (to get to my files)

I am also having some issues with links2. I had to chmod a+rwx /dev/tty0 for full color to work, but then gpm stopped working. any ideas? otherwise it runs in 16 color mode and it looks awful.

Also, what do you use for a .doc editor, eg: word documents? I have yet to find a nice editor.

And should I even consider doing wifi in terminal? is there any interface other than iwconfig?

----

DirectFB: its a library that can draw graphics on the terminal. there are a couple of ways to do this, such as svgalib, but this method seems to be the most common.
    It may be picky sometimes, but usualy if you have standard hardware and all the necessary packages it should work like a charm.
    It can also be used by apps such as mplayer for video playback...
    Last edited by superatrain; February 9th, 2007 at 08:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There's also a kind of window manager for consoles that you can run without an X server. It's in the repos - it's called twin.

Interesting stuff, but I think it's probably useless really
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I would add screen to this setup. Screen you would find to be an invaluable tool.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    It's new to me and it doesn't seem very commonplace around here. I installed links2 and got libdirectfb as well. That seems to be what got it going. Beyond that, I'm in uncharted territory.
    I think you'll have fun with it if you explore. As others have pointed out there are functioning image viewers, movie players, etc. I believe set top linux boxes do the entire ui in framebuffer. There was/is a distro out there without X that used a framebuffer to render everything too.
    Just learn how to use screen and you should be up to do anything. Also for communication I recommend irssi + bitlbee so you have everything in one.

Here is a screen shot of my console.

Now I don't typically split it this much. I just wanted to show you that you could. I have private messages at the top, then irc, rtorrent downloading, midnight commander, then a "task bar" at the bottom with the time and system load. There is also another shell open (but not visible) that you can see in the screen taskbar.
    [archlinux user]
    "y0, all those Leetnux Distributions are major suckomaticks, I will make it faster and better and strip all the documentation to show the world, that we are the leetest...!" --the almighty Judd

Beans

oops i just noticed that last fbgrab was using the default terminal colors. here is a better one.

I read how to change the terminal colors here.
    [archlinux user]
    "y0, all those Leetnux Distributions are major suckomaticks, I will make it faster and better and strip all the documentation to show the world, that we are the leetest...!" --the almighty Judd

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by superatrain View Post
    Also, what do you use for a .doc editor, eg: word documents? I have yet to find a nice editor.
    Did you try antiword?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast