Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by bonzodog View Post
    There *is* a package repository...but heres the stinker; you need to find it and get gslapt which will also require slapt-get from it.

http://linuxpackages.net

It's in there, and is all community built packages. I have to admit it, but the community likes to build their own stuff when they can, and provides packages to make life easier for others.
    not really recommended to add community repos to slpt-get, cause of dep problems, i 'll recommend to manually upgrade with installpkg utility.
    btw, i prefer swaret instead of slapr-get

Beans

Few misconceptions seem to crop upabout slackware here.....one, gslapt is not officially supported. The included slackpkg tool is, and works with the older pkg tools and syncs you to the online repo for updates.

It is one of the fastest distros, and with slackware 11, is also upon release one of the most up to date.....tho the releases tend to be about a year apart. For a more bleeding edge slackbox, use the current changelog....which will keep you in sync up till the next release with the latest.

distros like SUSE and ubuntu have occaisonally crashed , prolly due to a runaway app or process....i have never seen slackware crash since version 10.2......stability is one of its selling points, as is speed.

One reason there are no dep finding tools supported is because of the vast number of libs, and tools already included in a slackware full install (cd one has gui, but for KDE you need disk 2 as well.....since the 11 release, because KDE has grown so much of late. There are no dev pkgs in slackware, since debian tends to 'break down' apps from some of their libs and dev pkgs. Most slackware packages, when you install with the cli tools or with k package already have their dependencies onboard. If it doesn't run try firing up with the cli and it will tell you what is missing...you will seldom find a pkg requireing more than one or two extra pkgs......as opposed to the equally great but different apt utilities which pull in libs and other needed pkgs. If you want to keep slack 11 up to date, change your sources to current, which is similar to the idea of unstable / testing in debian based.

Yes, there is more learning and file configuration, and very little tweaking of upstream packages compared to morecustomized distros.......kde for slackware will be very close to the original unpatched kde release, without customization making it more slackish......and configuring your system under the hood is a great way to know what lies under distros exterior and how to tweak the engine.

gslapt and and swaret are unsupported but like 'easy ubuntu' or automatix, many use them for ease of package installs etc. And places like Linux packages supply binaries not in the slackware repo. But most users prefer to compile new apps so it runs according to their own systems configuration.....much like the idea of gentoo. Still, one has a choice.

Derivs, like zenwalk, and vector, slax and the excellent BackTrack for pen testing are based on this , with a few tweaks in the way that ubuntu is a customized debian, basically. Testing them out for ease of install and use will give you a taste of slacklife......but defiintiely try out slackware at some point to see if it suits what you want in an OS. Personally I like having slack on a production box and dual booting kubuntu and bsd on the laptop. Ubuntu is great for running a very gui, automatic system which is up to date. But I trust slackware for stability on my produciton machines ........btw, years ago, Patrick Volkerding was quite ill, and way back then assured us there are plans in place for the distro to continue should anything happen to him. Just as, I am sure, the Linux kernel will continue without Linus.......

Depends on what you want to do with your box, and how much you want to work / learn. Ive always found a box with slackware and ubuntu dual booted to be the best of both worlds.........

cheers

Beans

Could someone tell me how to use this installpkg tool for keeping your system up to date? I've tried Slackware 11 a little and I really liked it, I also have to admit it was very user-friendly. Some things were almost easier than in Ubuntu, and you knew exactly were you installed all packages.

Did not figure out how to install the nvidia drivers anyway, but got almost everything else to work. Don't be afraid to try it, I am almost a complete newbie to linux (I am a windows power-user though) and I got it to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Hevoos View Post
    Could someone tell me how to use this installpkg tool for keeping your system up to date? I've tried Slackware 11 a little and I really liked it, I also have to admit it was very user-friendly. Some things were almost easier than in Ubuntu, and you knew exactly were you installed all packages.

Did not figure out how to install the nvidia drivers anyway, but got almost everything else to work. Don't be afraid to try it, I am almost a complete newbie to linux (I am a windows power-user though) and I got it to work.
    i think installpkg tool only install packages, official package manager tool is slackpkg
    but use it carefully if you upgrade from version 11 to current because of big changes, especially:
    • upgrade slackpkg with slackpkg: slacpkg upgrade slackpkg
    • run "slackpkg update && slackpkg update gpg"
    • downloads packages dialog et aaa_terminfo: slackpkg download dialog && slackpkg download aaa_terminfo
    • upgrade pkgtools with slackpkg: slackpkg upgrade pkgtools
    • install dialog et aaa_terminfo with installpkg
    • bin package has been exploded in many packages so you have to manually install package which
    • after sysvinit and udev upgrade, don't forget to install new sysvinit-script package and manage all .new files in /etc (if you don't do that you should never reboot)

Beans

That sounds complicated. Is there any good guide or howto that explains how the slackpkg works?

And is there any other way to save all your programs you've installed manually and upgrade the rest?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Hevoos View Post
    That sounds complicated. Is there any good guide or howto that explains how the slackpkg works?

And is there any other way to save all your programs you've installed manually and upgrade the rest?
    usually slackpkg is really simple to use, i've post these instruction only because there was a major upgrade from slack 11 to current after six month without upgrades.
    Slack is IMHO a really simple distrib to use if you're not afraid about editing some config files and manipulate CLI.
    there is some slackware forums in many languages where you may find some good info, and also man, but slakpkg is simple to use most of the time.
    cheers.

Beans

I have been thinking of switching to slack, or a slack varient.
    Ubuntu is great, but I am interested in Zenwalk.
    Zenwalk, PClinux and Sabayon are on my "distros to hop to next" list.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    I have been thinking of switching to slack, or a slack varient.
    Ubuntu is great, but I am interested in Zenwalk.
    Zenwalk, PClinux and Sabayon are on my "distros to hop to next" list.
    Zenwalk and PCLinux are awesome. You might also like Wolvix and SAM.

If you try Wolvix, go for the beta, Desktop Edition, version 1.1.0

SAM is PCLinux + XFCE + a few "non-free" enhancements like flash and java

+1 Sabayon as well
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Zenwalk and PCLinux are awesome. You might also like Wolvix and SAM.

If you try Wolvix, go for the beta, Desktop Edition, version 1.1.0

SAM is PCLinux + XFCE + a few "non-free" enhancements like flash and java

+1 Sabayon as well
    Wolvix simple rocks, Sabayon has become a benchmark for Linux quality and dependability

Beans

Well slackware is stable and I can take a Ubuntu kernel put it in a seperate directory in slackware configure it and build it. Then I build modules for programs that are not on the Ubuntu aptget. now like any one control is a big thing. so if I compile with say a 3.6- gcc and then i apt-get a program that needs a 4.1- gcc well like a good boy apt-get does all the dependencies right and now I have the up dated 4.1_ gcc. this realy hurts me why. well all the cool stuff I compiled is compiled with 3.6 etc. and now my whole system is 4.1- does any one see the issue.
    So here is the deal all linux systems are made to be controled by the user not visa versa such will be the down fall of win 98 lol. the idea that if i want to up date my whole system for one program. and am left with a buch of dead compiled programs only good to send back to the last 6 Ubuntu updates thats ok. Ubuntu is good stuff I use it I like it but when it comes to ease of dependencies for compiling I need to be in total control. so as all my systems I do my own dependencies even on Ubuntu. this has made MY Huge U lighter faster and very reliable. as for gnome it's ok slack came with bith for years . keep up the good work Ubuntu because everyone that wants that one click O/s has wiped out the windows C drive all to many times.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast