Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Slackware vs. Ubuntu?

Did you all know that slackware is swedish invented?
    Not sure what you mean. Slackware is and has always been maintained by a single guy, Patrick Volkerding:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Volkerding

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Omg i think i have mixed it up with SOT sry guys im confused thanks for correcting me
    Do you really belive windows BS? Try linux use something fresh not something old and refurbished!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am moving this thread to 'other OS talk'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I would also recommend Zenwalk, it boots to gdm, like Ubuntu, and has all the GUI tools needed.

Zenwalk 3.0 is also completely uptodate, and is using 2.6.17.11 kernel and Xfce 4.4 Beta2 for desktop.
    Netpkg is good now, has had many improvements recently, and there is more than one repo now.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

How about FreeBSD?
    Do you really belive windows BS? Try linux use something fresh not something old and refurbished!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by haxer View Post
    How about FreeBSD?
    Free BSD is also nice. Try a live cd Frenzy

I would advise Desktop BSD if you HD install (you can install Frenzie, I have, it runs just fine, but it is Fluxbox and it takes some post-install configuration).
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Zenwalk is a gem like Vector linux. I like Zenwalk though because it has many tools for installing softwares at your disposal.

I run Zenwalk on my Pentium III 128 MB Sony laptop, and the speed at which I launch , run , watch movies, etc is almost equal if not greater than the speed at which I run most other distros on a newer PC with 512 MB RAm or 1 GIG of RAM.

It something to be experienced. Now I had to install vlc since that was easier to get running very fast with just vesa settings than with the default gxine.

I am sure with Zenwalk 3.0 a lot more improvement has been made.

I did not see the need for Zenwalk 3 as 2.8 was already awesome.

I like the Ubuntu community and the ease of updating distro, but the speed of Zenwalk is rather intoxicating while still maintaining a lot of functionalities like playing videos, surfing web, playing games.., etc.

Plus the distro really shows you how to manage your desktop. I find it easier to configure than Xubuntu, and faster as well than Xubuntu.

Alas, netpkg is very good, but their repo is slightly less than debian or ubuntu.

But, just about anything you can install or get in Ubuntu, you can certainly a tar for it. I prefer the slackit to linuxpackages for where to get my .tgz packages for install.

Ubuntu is still easier for a newbiw than Zenwalk. But for someone, wanting to know more of linux, but wanting a distro that is easy to install and already just works while giving raw power in your hands through CLI and other pkgtools.. This is definitly one of the ones to go for.

Moreover, the distro although slack-based is rather bleeding-edge and yet stable.

Give it a try.
    My favorite distros: Archbang / Manjaro / Sabayon
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, ZorinOS, Vectorlinux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

kazuya: Zenwalk used to be my primary OS.

Then I found Arch Linux.

Arch Linux Install guide
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I've also been running Arch lately after quite a while with Slack. I think Arch has a very bright future. I think I'll definitely give Slack 11 a fair look though when it comes out. Arch seems to be the best of all worlds (fast, lean, strong package management, good community, KISS design principles...)

Beans
    Hidden!

I installed Zenwalk 3 and so far I really like it. The only problem I have is fonts. With my 17" lcd diaplay at 1280x1024@60 Hz, the fonts dont look so clear than my Xubuntu machine. Here, I found some howto to improve fonts but if I try them on Zenwalk, it seems to happen nothing. Maybe someone can tell me where I can find some helps to improve fonts for zenwalk (or Slackware)?
    Thanks

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast