View Poll Results: Will Ubuntu always be free of charge?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

145 75.13%
  • No

5 2.59%
  • Yes, and I will pay for it

19 9.84%
  • No, and I will not pay for it

3 1.55%
  • Still suspicious

21 10.88%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Ubuntu be always free of charge?

Beans
    Hidden!

Will Ubuntu be always free of charge?

Once there was the most popular Linux distribution called SuSe. It was free of charge. Its base of satisfying users was just growing and everything was so good, almost perfect... until they started to charge for it... Now, there are some free of charge versions, but that's not it. It will never be the same again.

Once there was the most Linux distribution called Mandriva (Mandrake). It was free of charge. Its base of satisfying users was just growing. Everything was so good, almost perfect... until they started to charge for it... Now, there are some free of charge versions, but that's not it. It will never be the same again.

There is the most popular Linux distribution called Ubuntu. It's free of charge. Its base of satisfying users is just growing. Everything is so good - almost perfect... for now...

On the main page on Ubuntu web site, once there was this message saying:

The Ubuntu Promise

Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates.
    Now, on that same spot on Ubuntu web site, there is this message saying:

The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Philosophy: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.
    I'm realy scared. What if they start charging it? Will Ubuntu always be free? Have you ever thought about it?
    Last edited by BrokeBody; September 19th, 2006 at 01:51 AM.
    "Being different is not a crime, and people who tell you it is are just jealous that you've picked up a skill they never in their wildest dreams could acquire.

You can code. They cannot. That is pretty damn cool." --Zed A. Shaw

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Will Ubuntu be always free of charge?

lol Oops, as you can see, I meesed up something with my poll (with quetions, one of them ain't to logical ). Just ingore it if you can.
    Last edited by BrokeBody; September 19th, 2006 at 02:05 AM.
    "Being different is not a crime, and people who tell you it is are just jealous that you've picked up a skill they never in their wildest dreams could acquire.

Beans

I'm sure it will always be free, but I don't particularly care. Worst case, it will become non-free, and another distro will rise that will be better. That's the magic of the GPL.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeBody View Post
    Once there was the most popular Linux distribution called SuSe. It was free of charge. Its base of satisfying users was just growing and everything was so good, almost perfect... until they started to charge for it... Now, there are some free of charge versions, but that's not it. It will never be the same again.

Once there was the most Linux distribution called Mandriva (Mandrake). It was free of charge. Its base of satisfying users was just growing. Everything was so good, almost perfect... until they started to charge for it... Now, there are some free of charge versions, but that's not it. It will never be the same again.

There is the most popular Linux distribution called Ubuntu. It's free of charge. Its base of satisfying users is just growing. Everything is so good - almost perfect... for now...

I'm realy scared. What if they start charging it? Will Ubuntu always be free? Have you ever thought about it?
    Open suse = suse free of charche isnt it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Now, there are some free of charge versions, but that's not it. It will never be the same again.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeBody View Post

Mark Suttleworth said (me in his presence)(swear) he had a dream to use the money he got from Thawte to make people happy. He wanted Linux.
    No.
    He wanted MORE.
    He wanted...
    Debian.
    And from then on Ubuntu will ALWAYS be FREE for as long as it can be supported with his money, and then we'll find a way to support this from then on.
    That was about 2-3 years ago.
    And I'll believe him forever.

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh and that should is because you can't make everybody give their software free. Impossible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I think that Ubuntu in its current form will remain free. I feel this is the case because of the founding principles and the organizational vision.
    The free CD distribution may go by the wayside at somepoint though the image will likely be available as a free download.

Beans

I think its going to do a Red Hat, and Novell. Have a paid version and a free version, cause to much money is getting wasted (by wasted I mean its not coming back).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

In one way I wish they did charge so it could help out with their expenses, e.g. staff, servers, software

If they charged a reasonable rate of £30 for each distro, or a one off charge of £50 and you get all releases there after free, by either logging in and downloading it from their private servers or by requesting a free CD/DVD which gets dispatched next day.

I would be more than happy to pay for it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast