Thread: Suggestion for a new child forum Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Suggestion for a new child forum Xubuntu

Hi,

I hope that I am posting to the correct forum, if I am not please let me know and I will repost in the correct forum.

I would like to make a suggestion, a seperate child forums would nice in the Desktop forum. If I am looking for postings re Xubuntu, I need search the whole forum just see what has been posted. If I remember correctly you used to have a sub-forum for KDE topics but that also seems to have disappeared.
    Best Wishes
    Jim R.
    Various PC's as Servers running Xubuntu 20.04LTS. , and other PCs & Laptops running Xubuntu as desktops

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Suggestion for a new child forum Xubuntu

+1. I totally agree. I want one for different window managers and desktop managers. I have specific questions with Xfce and Fluxbox.

Ubuntu is the most active community for Linux information that I've found.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We used to have them. Then, we had desktop environment tags on threads. Now it's all integrated. I think people should just say what desktop environment they're using when they post.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I suppose integrations has it's pros/cons.

I think people should just say what desktop environment they're using when they post.
    I think what you say works well when people search, or if people are reading the entire history of a post, or if they put their environment in the title. The main problem with title is that few people use it to identify their environment. In fact, most people don't use the title to actually identify their question or issue. An example from "Absolute Beginner Talk" that was posted yesterday: Title: "What's the difference?"

What I do is subscribe to forums and receive weekly emails. I inefficiently scan for thread relating to topics of interest (and there's LOTS of posts. The better I can do this, the better for the community, and the better for me.

Also would be nice to have a sub-community setup for "Lightweight" interest groups. I know the community would be small, but hey...the forum is free so why not?

The forums have some of the best (and sometimes only) linux documentation. The better we use the forum, the better the documentation, and the better the Linux.

Jake