Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO improving your internet connection using wondershaper

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO improving your internet connection using wondershaper

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu_demon
    wondershaper improves your connection a bit by moving the upload queue from the cable modem to your computer.

the upload speed number is best measured like this :
    1)do a upload speedtest with no other stuff running that uses the internet connection
    2)run bittorrent and upload as much as possible
    3)ping a fast server and very slowly cap you bittorrent client down until you have a low and stable ping.
    4) Use this capped speed that the bittorrent client gives you to enter into wondershaper's upload speed
    5)cap your bittorrent client a couple of kbytes lower so you can still surf the internet fast

You can experiment a bit with a bit lower numbers than you measure on the speedtest webpage. But moving the download queue from the cable modem to the computer is kinda useless because the packets have arrived anyway.

I have written myself a more advanced traffic shaper. But it's not very userfriendly so I won't share it yet. I'll create something nice somewhere in the future.
    Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow when I'm half awake. I'll also read some of Gentoo's guide on this too as it really looked interesting.

BTW, how is manually writting the script better ?
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by buildid
    just downgraded my internet connection. I just hate it when a p2p application prevents me from browsing the web fast. So let's do something about it

with an normal connection and enough upload speed "125 KB/s " , using an upload speed of 100 , i believe the script is not needed .

wit an upload speed that is set to max or close to max setting , then this is probally a good idear .
    actually this script does work. But you can get a much greater profit when you write your own traffic shaper rules because in that way you can prioritize some game above p2p traffic for example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k
    Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow when I'm half awake. I'll also read some of Gentoo's guide on this too as it really looked interesting.

BTW, how is manually writting the script better ?
    like I said in the other answer : you can prioritize some traffic above other traffic. You can make it as complicated as you want.

I have had a couple of people playing games on the internet with a good ping while using bittorrent as fast as possible

Beans

Will I get a speed difference if I run a conection-tester in Wine?
    I could of course use it on one of my windows computers, but that would be cheating.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan1313
    Will I get a speed difference if I run a conection-tester in Wine?
    I could of course use it on one of my windows computers, but that would be cheating.
    you have to run it on the computer that's directly connected to the cable modem

the speedtest doesn't matter much it's only an indication for the number that you will have to tweak anyway using bittorrent or some other heavy uploading application that you can throttle.(while pinging some fast and reliable/stable server)

Beans

you have to run it on the computer that's directly connected to the cable modem

the speedtest doesn't matter much it's only an indication for the number that you will have to tweak anyway using bittorrent or some other heavy uploading application that you can throttle.(while pinging some fast and reliable/stable server)
    Sorry, didn't quite get that.
    Isn't it kind of important what you're speed is when tweaking?

What do you mean by trottle while pinging servers...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sorry, didn't quite get that.
    Isn't it kind of important what you're speed is when tweaking?
    I just meant that it doesn't matter much where you start ... it only takes more time if you start farther away from the ideal speed.

What do you mean by trottle while pinging servers...?
    just adjust your upload speed in bittorrent while looking at the ping times to a fast server in your terminal. (if they go up or become "unstable" then you are too high)

Beans

I just meant that it doesn't matter much where you start ... it only takes more time if you start farther away from the ideal speed.

just adjust your upload speed in bittorrent while looking at the ping times to a fast server in your terminal. (if they go up or become "unstable" then you are too high)
    So what I need to config my connection is a good torrent and a fast server to ping?

Beans

Great shaper, I've been using it for a while. If you want to gain even more performance try using Quality of Service (QoS)

Great Tip Demon, I took a much harder route to getting it working this was much simpler.
    Regards,
    FL-ei-|X|-iu-S
    ][ My Blog ][

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FLeiXiuS
    Great shaper, I've been using it for a while. If you want to gain even more performance try using Quality of Service (QoS)

Great Tip Demon, I took a much harder route to getting it working this was much simpler.
    Isn't Wonder Shaper meant to do what QoS does? Or even to shape QoS?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast