Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Configure wireless cards with Broadcom chipsets

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOW TO: Configure wireless cards with Broadcom chipsets

What does dmesg say after you try to modprobe it and it's invalid? I'll bet you have a compiler mismatch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    Hmmm, that's two of you with an almost identical error message that I've never heard reported before. I don't know what the issue is, but I suggest a few routes for exploring possible solutions:

1. Start again from the beginning. Use
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r bcmwl5
    sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
    sudo rm -r /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5
    to undo the effects of what you've done to date.
    2. There are two drivers associated with thes cards, bcmwl5 and bcmwl5a. Most cards can accept either (mine certainly can), but some can only accept one or the other. If you have the 5a driver available, try repeating the how-to but repeat every instance of "bcmwl5" with "bcmwl5a".
    3. Try downloading the latest version of the XP drivers from Dell's website and starting again. Try using both bcmwl5 and bcmwl5a
    4. Just in case my script isn't working properly in all cases, try this: replace the three lines beginning with "for conffile...", "sudo cat..." and "done" with "sudo gedit". This will open a text editor; use it to open every file in the directory /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/ and replace every instance of RadioState|1 with RadioState|0
    5. (Yuk) Try grabbing the latest version of ndiswrapper and compiling it yourself. You'll find several sets of instructions between the forums and the wiki.

Please post your results for the benefit of the rest of the community.
    1. I started again from the beginning.
    2. I tried both drivers (starting from the beginning each time with the most recent version of each).
    3. Double-checked with downloaded drivers from Dell.
    4. Manually changed the RadioState for each .conf file
    5. Researched and compiled the latest ndiswrapper (1.1)

Finally got this result:

root@laptop:/home/vaughnet # modprobe ndiswrapper
    root@laptop:/home/vaughnet #
    Then went to System>Administration>Networking only to find no available wireless interface. Numerous restarts and plugging the card in and out has seemed to work. I truly believe I have exhausted every conceivable option. Any ideas...?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    What does dmesg say after you try to modprobe it and it's invalid? I'll bet you have a compiler mismatch.
    is this what I am looking for ?

sparke67@shawnlinux:~ $ dmesg
    Linux version 2.6.8.1-5-386 (buildd@rothera) (gcc version 3.3.4 (Debian 1:3.3.4-9ubuntu5)) #1 Thu Apr 7 08:47:11 UTC 2005

or maybe this ?

ndiswrapper version 0.10 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=no)
    ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:2286): loadndiswrapper failed (1536);check utils version mismatch
    ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:2286): loadndiswrapper failed (1536);check utils version mismatch
    sparke67@shawnlinux:~ $

Beans

Something interesting... my wireless was working fine until I did a clean installation of Hoary. I'd originally started with the Release Candidate, and once I changed the RadioState, everything was gravy.

However, I formatted and reinstalled to the "official" release, and now I'm getting the same "Error inserting ndiswrapper" issue that you guys are getting. Were there any changes between the Release Candidates and the Official release that could've caused this?

Gonna play with it some tomorrow and see what I can figure out...

Serves me right for doing a format and reinstall.

Phil

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darthsabbath
    Something interesting... my wireless was working fine until I did a clean installation of Hoary. I'd originally started with the Release Candidate, and once I changed the RadioState, everything was gravy.
    Phil, you might be on to something here. My how-to was based on the release candidate too.

Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    Phil, you might be on to something here. My how-to was based on the release candidate too.

Good luck!
    could that be the reason for this ?

sparke67@shawnlinux:~ $

Beans

hopefully you work something out phil,

i'm having the exact same problems as the others.

mine is a BT Voyager 1040 pci card and following the instructions gives the same errors as you described.
    Last edited by allen; April 18th, 2005 at 02:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Phil, the version of utils in the repo's is something like .12. Looks like you're trying to use .10 of ndiswrapper. Grab ndiswrapper-source and ndiswrapper-utils out of the repo's and build your own set?

Beans

heres a log of my problems

root@allens:/home/allen # modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.10-5-386/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko): Operation not permitted
    root@allens:/home/allen # ndiswrapper -l
    Installed ndis drivers:
    bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present
    root@allens:/home/allen # dmesg

[*snip*]

ndiswrapper version 1.0rc2 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=no)
    ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:1494): loadndiswrapper failed (1792); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    where would i find the system log ?
    Last edited by allen; April 18th, 2005 at 03:13 PM.

Beans

Can't try any of this now, as I'm at work, but wanted to add that the ndiswrapper-utils I installed off the Hoary CD are version 0.11. When I get home, I'll hook it up to my LAN and download the latest versions of both the kernel and ndiswrapper.

Phil

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast