Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: [HOW TO] Mounting smbfs Shares Permanently

Beans

Unhappy Re: [HOW TO] Mounting smbfs Shares Permanently

uh oh, now I'm in a dead mode.
    Forgive me for bumping in.

Last time I tried to use the deprecated command (smbfs), but it works.

here via root account
    $> mount -t smbfs //mydestinatedIP/aDirectory /myPreferrablyDirectory -o username=Admin,password=Admin
    it works, the directory was mounted there.

and then, I try to add this line of code below to the /etc/fstab

//mydestinatedIP/aDirectory /myPreferrablyDirectory -o username=Admin,password=Admin smbfs 0 0
    but once I restarted my machine, it can not reach the given network. Gosh! Now I could not mount it. And the effect is now become worst. My Linux can't login, caused by the error given from fstab.

OOOOOooo... what should I do next?
    My purpose is to enable the mount permanently,
    but unfortunate things happened on it. Which part that I've forgotten anyway?

-- this line below is the updated one. after I go run over the google and his brother.

Thanks god, now I'm able to edit the /etc/fstab via Linux Live CD.
    and then apt-get lvm2, execute pvscan, and then, vgchange -a y, and also lvscan,
    and of course mount the device available. And gosh! edit the /etc/fstab there....

original source:
    ... anyway, back to the topic.
    How to make it the mount permanent after machine restarted?
    Last edited by jaya28inside; September 22nd, 2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: after google and his friend told me something

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: [HOW TO] Mounting smbfs Shares Permanently

Your fstab line is close, but the syntax is off a bit.

Code:
    //mydestinatedIP/aDirectory /myPreferrablyDirectory cifs username=Admin,password=Admin 0 0
    You can add other options if needed, such as setting uid, gid, or permissions.

See:

How to fstab - Ubuntu Forums for details.

Last, rather then posting in an old thread (this one is 4 years old from the first post, one year from the last post) start a new thread.

A fair amount changes in 4 years. For example , why do you insist on using the depreciated smbfs ? You should use cifs, works fine, and one day smbfs will stop working altogether as it is depreciated, meaning no longer maintained and you should switch.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Talking Re: [HOW TO] Mounting smbfs Shares Permanently

really great!
    case solved!

thanks.

Beans

NOTE: For remote directory. When using the system name. I could not get the mount to work when editing the /etc/fstab unless I put the appropriate details in /etc/hosts.
    ie.

sudo gedit /etc/hosts

my_network_share 192.168.2.100

kind regards,
    Ian Gregory, Sydney.
    fyi: Ubuntu 10.10.

Beans

Question Re: [HOW TO] Mounting smbfs Shares Permanently

Hi folks,

I am just wandering.. In a single user machine, the fstab solution is fine.

But if you have several users, each one with different shares needs, what is the best approach to automate the shares ?

Put on ~/.profile or what ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by josir View Post
    Hi folks,

I am just wandering.. In a single user machine, the fstab solution is fine.

But if you have several users, each one with different shares needs, what is the best approach to automate the shares ?

Put on ~/.profile or what ?
    Hate to bump an old thread, but I too am interested in this. Looking around a lot of the guides suggest the fstab solution. But, I am trying to find a more secure solution to mount a samba share. Any suggestions?

Details of my situation
    Mounting a centOs 5 share on an ubuntu 10.10 machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by chinaCat86 View Post
    Hate to bump an old thread, but I too am interested in this. Looking around a lot of the guides suggest the fstab solution. But, I am trying to find a more secure solution to mount a samba share. Any suggestions?

Details of my situation
    Mounting a centOs 5 share on an ubuntu 10.10 machine.
    A bit complicated but possible.

First of all, you need to make sure that each account on your clients also has an account on the server. That way you don't have to worry about adding credential files or exposing usernames and passwords in a clear text file.

If you have one client with multiple logins, then you can use autofs to automount on a per user basis. There's some information on wildcard mounting with autofs here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autofs

You'll also have to make sure that group permissions are configured correctly on the client so that files are readable and writable by the correct users. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mo...ltiple%20Users

It may also help to rethink your server's /etc/samba/smb.conf file as well. It may be less complicated to configure your server for LDAP instead of using autofs: https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/server...amba-ldap.html

Obviously this is only a rough outline as there are many variations and configuration possibilities.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345