Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [HOW TO] Mounting smbfs Shares Permanently

Beans

Wink Re: [HOW TO] Mounting smbfs Shares Permanently

Quote Originally Posted by RomanW View Post
    I followed this How To and it was useful and helpful to me. I can mount all shares flawlessly, I only have one problem: I can't mount shares that have a space in the directory name. e.g: the directory in this fstab line:

Code:
    //Enigma-V2/Mijn Muziek /home/blaatmeister/Desktop/Samba/Muziek smbfs credentials=/home/blaatmeister/.smbpasswd,uid=blaatmeister 0 0
    When I type sudo mount -a in the terminal, I get the following error:

Code:
    [mntent]: line 12 in /etc/fstab is bad
    Line 12 is the line I previously gave.

I tried all these variations of line 12:

Code:
    "//Enigma-V2/Mijn Muziek" /home/blaatmeister/Desktop/Samba/Muziek smbfs credentials=/home/blaatmeister/.smbpasswd,uid=blaatmeister 0 0
    Code:
    //Enigma-V2/Mijn\ Muziek /home/blaatmeister/Desktop/Samba/Muziek smbfs credentials=/home/blaatmeister/.smbpasswd,uid=blaatmeister 0 0
    Code:
    '//Enigma-V2/Mijn Muziek' /home/blaatmeister/Desktop/Samba/Muziek smbfs credentials=/home/blaatmeister/.smbpasswd,uid=blaatmeister 0 0
    They all give me the same error message as the original line.

With the combination
    Code:
    //Enigma-V2/Mijn\Muziek /home/blaatmeister/Desktop/Samba/Muziek smbfs credentials=/home/blaatmeister/.smbpasswd,uid=blaatmeister 0 0
    I get this error message:
    Code:
    12455: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid share name)
    SMB connection failed
    This is my entire fstab file:

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc                                       /proc          proc         defaults                    0  0  
    # /dev/sda2
    UUID=473804f9-e426-4057-92b3-43e86ae6fa4e  /              ext3         defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1  
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=3d55a66d-1a14-487c-aaf0-f5e8bafb098a  none           swap         sw                          0  0  
    /dev/hdc                                   /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660  user,noauto                 0  0  
    /dev/hdd                                   /media/cdrom1  udf,iso9660  user,noauto                 0  0  
    //Enigma-V2/Downloads /home/blaatmeister/Desktop/Samba/Downloads smbfs credentials=/home/blaatmeister/.smbpasswd,uid=blaatmeister 0 0
    //Enigma-V2/Mijn\Muziek /home/blaatmeister/Desktop/Samba/Muziek smbfs credentials=/home/blaatmeister/.smbpasswd,uid=blaatmeister 0 0
    Since the mount on line 11 works, there's nothing wrong with my .smbpasswd file.

I can also mount the share without a problem in the terminal using the command:

sudo smbmount "//Enigma-V2/Mijn Muziek" /home/blaatmeister/Desktop/Samba/Muziek -o credentials=/home/blaatmeister/.smbpasswd

I'm hoping that someone here can tell me how I can mount the share using the fstab file. Thanks in advance.
    don't know very well what you should do, actually you tried all the tricks I could suggest you.
    As last resort you should rename your share with no _spaces_ and see what happens.
    Debian testing user.
    Don't underestimate the power of *nix manual!!!
    Code:
     geco@biohazard:~$ man man

Beans

Re: [HOW TO] Mounting smbfs Shares Permanently

Both way are still giving me that weird error.

Anonymous login successful
    4801: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
    SMB connection failed

I tried mounting following another method and here is what im receiving:

//192.168.0.2/Scott /media/WINDOWS cifs auto,rw,username=bleh,guest,uid=blah 0 0

I tried changing the root folder, like, //192.168.0.2/GABEY or //192.168.0.2/C
    either way, im still getting this error:

I run
    sudo mount /media/WINDOWS

mount error 113 = No route to host
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
    Last edited by Ares2; March 2nd, 2007 at 03:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by geco View Post
    don't know very well what you should do, actually you tried all the tricks I could suggest you.
    As last resort you should rename your share with no _spaces_ and see what happens.
    That's what I'm going to do now . Should've done that earlier anyway, would've only cost me a few minutes. I was just wondering if it was possible to fix it, but apparently not. Thanks anyway.

Beans

All,

Have read thread but am wondering, fstab is loaded at start up. What if I'm on a wireless network?

When I do following in a terminal

sudo mount -t smbfs //share/share /home/robert/Desktop/Network -o username=XXX,password=XXX,uid=robyoko,gid=robyoko

share is mounted no problems

When I add it to fstab it isn't executed as there is no networkconnection at start up. How can I still add the share automatically?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

please follow this guide and use cifs and not smbfs. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

15571: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

Tried the method in the first post but after entering
    Code:
    //myserver/thesharedfolder /media -o username=bleh,password=bleh1
    i get this error..
    Code:
    Am running on Ubuntu for the first time since i want to go the open-source way.. any help is appreciated!

- Asfaq!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Beans
    Distro

Re: 15571: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

Quote Originally Posted by asfaq View Post
    Tried the method in the first post but after entering
    Code:
    //myserver/thesharedfolder /media -o username=bleh,password=bleh1
    i get this error..
    Code:
    Am running on Ubuntu for the first time since i want to go the open-source way.. any help is appreciated!

- Asfaq!
    this means that you don't have access to that server. can you please post the output after you enter the commands into a terminal session

smbtree
    (NOTE: this will ask for a password, enter your password, should be same one when you use sudo)

this will return a list of available servers and what shares are available within each of the servers.

findsmb

this command should return a list of servers and whether they are local master browser or domain master browsers. (by the little * or the + symbol)

if you try this command

smbclient -L WHAATEVERTHESERVERNAMEISHERE

you should be prompted for a password, enter the password for that server. also, do the usernames and passwords match on ubuntu and whatever os is on the server? here is a good guide for debian which is what ubuntu is based on.

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/165

Beans

Had problem with the credentials file at Ubuntu Fawn.
    It could be fixed by deleting the line break after the password=<>

Old
    Code:
    username = <username>\n
    password = <password>\n
    became
    Code:
    username = <username>\n
    password = <password>
    This is a pretty ugly "Feature"....

Regs.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pruss View Post
    Had problem with the credentials file at Ubuntu Fawn.
    It could be fixed by deleting the line break after the password=<>

Old
    Code:
    username = <username>\n
    password = <password>\n
    became
    Code:
    username = <username>\n
    password = <password>
    This is a pretty ugly "Feature"....

Regs.
    I read somewhere that you should never use a gui text editor when creating files like these, not sure why, maybe because of the apps that read from then getting hung on this exact thing, use Vim or Nano. I didn't have this problem because I don't hit enter after the last line is entered, this is the same as /etc/fstab and many others I beleive

Beans

If you do a smbmount and the share goes down and comes back or just comes up late how can you set it up so the mount is sustainable?

I use the non-root method. It works well and I want to stay with this. Some web reading suggests a bug in smbfs which is doone better with cifs. How do you do a non-root cifs mount?
    Last edited by piagent; October 1st, 2007 at 12:48 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast