Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO - Basic Network Troubleshooting / Understanding

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO - Basic Network Troubleshooting / Understanding

Great guide, thanks! looking forward to the other 2 parts..
    Fredrik Lunde | Vergic AB
    www.vergic.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Sorry about the length between installments. For those of you who don't know, I was involved in a rather serious car crash and was hospitalized, and currently have a demolished leg.

However, I'm doing better now, and am working on the Intermediate Guide, after getting multiple requests from a surprising amount of forum members. For any suggestions or ideas for topics to cover, feel free to email me at digitalsuicide [at] gmail [dot] com.

Should have it out for you guys by Wednesday.
    -
    About Me
    Joshua "stderr / dataw0lf" Simpson, CCIE R&S and Security, RHCE

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Hope you'll get better soon because your guides are really usefull for newbies. Especially that often the same "simple" question come back.
    Great Job and take care
    --
    ###################
    http://thisisallaround.freezee.org
    ###################

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by skyboy
    Hope you'll get better soon because your guides are really usefull for newbies. Especially that often the same "simple" question come back.
    Great Job and take care
    Thanks. And thanks to everyone who cares enough to request the 'sequel'. I was very pleased to see that this howto was so helpful for so many people. It kinda gives you that 'oompf' to do another one
    -
    About Me
    Joshua "stderr / dataw0lf" Simpson, CCIE R&S and Security, RHCE

Beans

Hi,

I have small problem, when I want my network connection started after boot, I need to type 4 commands.

dhclient
    (Get ip address etc)

pon sauna1
    (Open vpn connection)

route add -host x.x.x.x gw x.x.x.x
    route add -net x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x dev ppp0
    (Setup routes)

How do I make these run automatically at boot or is there any config files where I can set routes?

Beans

Ok sorry if this is obvious but I've spent a couple of hours searching the web with no luck. I was wondering if any of you couple possible point me in the right direction. I should explain the situation. I've got two ubuntu systems at home. The first I install at home and everything is fine. I have a network connection, it gets the IP address assigned to the mac address of the network card. The second machine is being an absolute pain, won't pick up an ip address from the dhcp server.

I know the networking on this second machine works, since I install it at another location and set up all the different pieces of software such as samba, and updated the base system. However, know that I have brought it home it just doesn't work. I'm guess its something to do with ubuntu picking up the DNS at the other location "/etc/resolv.conf". The question is how do I reconfigure the network settings so that it will work at home? I've tried taking the entries from "/etc/resolv.conf" out and changing then by hand to the settings from my other machine, with no joy. I've even used ifconfig -a eth0 192.167.7.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 which works until I reset the machine.

I was sure there was a way to run a reconfigure script/program but I completely stumped when it comes to finding what the command is. Any ideas?

Oh I've also tried working through the network tools within the GUI with no joys.

Beans

Just in case someone else comes across this thread from google, I found the answer to my problem was fault network equipment. In particular the switch, and I would therefore advise you to check your network. In my case the switch was working for every other computer on the network, except this second linux box. When I connected it directly to the router it picked up the IP address straight away. When I swapped the switch with another one I had around it also worked. So I'm guessing there is something wrong with the switch since the network card in the machine and this particular switch was working just over two weeks ago.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by erygon
    Hi,

I have small problem, when I want my network connection started after boot, I need to type 4 commands.

dhclient
    (Get ip address etc)

pon sauna1
    (Open vpn connection)

route add -host x.x.x.x gw x.x.x.x
    route add -net x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x dev ppp0
    (Setup routes)

How do I make these run automatically at boot or is there any config files where I can set routes?
    I have the same problem with routing tables. Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Talking Re: HOWTO - Basic Network Troubleshooting / Understanding

dataw0lf - great howto . hope you are feeling better now.

Code:
    route add default gw 10.0.0.1
    and let there be light!

thanks a lot! cant wait for the sequel

copter :]

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Where is the magical file that keeps a static routing table?
    Last edited by Yeormom; March 13th, 2006 at 05:21 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast