Beans

Re: HowTo: Fix Firefox Flash Sound Issues

great, that did it for me!

I just had to to change the Swiftfox Launcher command into "aoss swiftfox"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

doesn't seem to make a difference for me at all. it use to be WAY out of sync, but now it's in sync. i have no idea what i did to get the sound in sync, but this was not the fix. maybe has something to do with having installed totem-xine or maybe w32codecs?

with aoss, i can play one flash video. after which firefox locks.
    without aoss, i can play two flash videos. after which firefox locks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This fix doesn't work for me.

I'm running Dapper, with esd, which seems to be the default. Whether esd is running or killed, if I put FIREFOX_DSP="aoss" in /etc/firefox/firefoxrc and then start firefox, and then try to open a video on youtube, it only plays for the first second or so, then freezes. This happens *always* - it's very easy to reproduce on my Ubuntu install.

Of course I have aoss installed (from alsa-oss), I've also tried running firefox as 'aoss firefox' or using a script that calls 'aoss /usr/lib/firefox/firefox ...'. No success yet.

Somebody was saying this is caused by the cache setting being to small, so I've set browser.cache.disk.capacity to 100MB in Firefox, but it still doesn't help.

Any other ideas?

edit: I have Flash 7.0r63 (not the latest I see) and Firefox 1.5.0.7. I've downloaded the latest updates today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Ok i used the above fx above but now i noticed that my Firefox freezes alot especially when it tries to load a page that has flash on it. I'm not sure why this is happening. anyone experience this also?
    printf("Hello World, My Name is Dayz");

Beans

you don't need alsa-oss you can edit the "none" value to "alsa" not "aoss"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by miwarlock002 View Post
    you can edit the "none" value to "alsa" not "aoss"
    No you can't. As far as I read the script, the FIREFOX_DSP variable should hold the name of a binary that can wrap around /dev/dsp access (like esddsp, artsdsp or aoss). There's no binary name 'alsa' on my Ubuntu installation, and I don't recall ever encountering such a program.

Also, the firefox script checks to see if FIREFOX_DSP holds a program name (the 'if type $FIREFOX_DSP' line).

edit: Using FIREFOX_DSP *still* doesn't work for me after upgrading to flahplugin 7.0r68 and amarok 2:1.4.3-0ubuntu6~dapper1. Videos are still freezing after one second.

edit2: It seems that you have to use amarok for a while in order for the flash plugin not to be able to play sound; if you start firefox, fire up a web page on youtube and then close it (keep firefox open), then play a few seconds of an mp3 in amarok, and then open another youtube video, everything works ok. However, if you let amarok play for a while and then retry using youtube or bolt in firefox, oops, no sound. You have to restart firefox.
    Last edited by phormion; September 24th, 2006 at 01:29 PM.

Beans

Well I entered it I hope it works later.

Quote Originally Posted by telperion View Post
    aoss opera
    How do I do that?

Beans

ok, my mistake. I had none. My sound did not work. I switched to alsa. It worked. I was just sharing my experience. Sorry if it didn't work for you. aoss didn't work too good for me. Seemed to make my flash pages hang. Hope it works for others.

But then again, I have seriously altered my sound installation. I have installed libsdl1.2debian-all and libopenal0a.
    Last edited by lH)4~mK0e; September 24th, 2006 at 04:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

miwarlock002, could you tell me what you get if you type the following in a shell, please?

$ which alsa

$ dpkg -S `which alsa`

Also, did you alter your firefox startup script? What output do you get if you run firefox from a terminal with 'firefox -V'?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

It worked for me, however it was just a quick test. It did work while I was playing an MP3 in Rhythmbox as well. I will try later today to make sure it is still working as that seems to be somewhat of a problem as well.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast