Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Fix Firefox Flash Sound Issues

Beans

Re: HowTo: Fix Firefox Flash Sound Issues

that's too bad that you couldn't get flash-sound working with ubuntu.

What kind of hardware do you have?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ssavelan View Post
    As you can see above, I had a similar problem. I have successfully compiled that driver with one and two sound cards. In the case above I had to reinstall ubuntu altogether.

If you were using the ALSA directions on their site, you might want to try a few lines of code that I suppose are ubuntu/debian specific. From:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EchoMia

there are a couple of extra commands, perhaps symbolic links and such that Ubuntu may need that are not listed in the ALSA directions.

(listening to a Google video right now on my laptop)

good luck!
    thanks for the reply
    well i tried recompiling alsa this way, but it made no difference.
    i have a pentium d processor and my sound card according to aplay -l is:
    oded@oded-desktop:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: VT82xx [HDA VIA VT82xx], device 0: VT1708 Analog [VT1708 Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: VT82xx [HDA VIA VT82xx], device 1: VT1708 Digital [VT1708 Digital]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    anyway i followed the howto from the link you posted but i could not run the ./configure or the make command as a normal user. only with sudo.

Beans

Here's one for you: Firefox/Swiftfox sound had been working fine, then suddenly stopped. I have system sounds, sound in videos played through VLC/Kaffeine/Mplayer, just nothing in the browser. When I use "sudo aplay -l", I get this:

[quote]**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    ALSA lib control.c:816:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
    aplay: device_list:231: control open (0): No such file or directory
    ALSA lib control.c:816:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:1
    aplay: device_list:231: control open (1): No such file or directory
    [/quote]

I've tried reinstalling alsa-oss and alsa-utils with no improvement. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

this is a possible fix:

Code:
    $  modprobe snd-pcm-oss
    seemed to do the trick for me

going to restart and see if it still works. will reply in a moment or edit

**EDIT**
    Restarted and still works!!! woot!!! sound on youtube again!!!
    Last edited by inthepit; March 3rd, 2007 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Tested Restart

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by odzx View Post
    thanks for the reply
    well i tried recompiling alsa this way, but it made no difference.
    i have a pentium d processor and my sound card according to aplay -l is:

anyway i followed the howto from the link you posted but i could not run the ./configure or the make command as a normal user. only with sudo.
    If you can't run ./configure --with-cards=etc,etc

You may have a fairly robust problem. I know that the VT82xx runs well, though. You are getting sounds in other programs than flash? If so, that is strange.

(%If your install is not too tricked out,- well, i recommend the following anyway)

I recommend making a mint install. I have tangled my ALSA configuration past the point of no return several times. A fresh install and the above posted instructions, done cleanly, from the top, seems to make a nice stable sound system for me. Another strategy that I have used with success is having a couple of partitions of ubuntu on my main machine. if you have the space, it allows you to experiment to the point of system breakage on one install and be able to shuffle your important files back and forth while breaking installs with impunity. In this way you can eventually figure the perfect sequence of commands to get a dynamite, fully functional (sound) system.

Just a thought, if you have the time for major tinkering. Having a couple of installs can give you a bit of mind peace.

Beans

If you can't run ./configure --with-cards=etc,etc

You may have a fairly robust problem. I know that the VT82xx runs well, though. You are getting sounds in other programs than flash? If so, that is strange.
    yes i do have sound working with all other programs. the VT82xx was recognized when i first installed edgy on this machine, sound was working system wide, including flash. the thing that made me recompile alsa was that i could not get any sound out of my mic. volume control used to look like this:
    http://www.23hq.com/odzx/photo/16729...m%5fid=1672974
    now it looks like this:
    http://www.23hq.com/odzx/photo/1718286/view-large
    now i can record and use my mic with skype but no more flash sound.
    I recommend making a mint install. I have tangled my ALSA configuration past the point of no return several times. A fresh install and the above posted instructions, done cleanly, from the top, seems to make a nice stable sound system for me. Another strategy that I have used with success is having a couple of partitions of ubuntu on my main machine. if you have the space, it allows you to experiment to the point of system breakage on one install and be able to shuffle your important files back and forth while breaking installs with impunity. In this way you can eventually figure the perfect sequence of commands to get a dynamite, fully functional (sound) system.
    i guess that is the way to do it. though i just had to reinstalled a week ago, when i couldn't log on any more , after one to many alsa recompiling. i guess I'd rather do without flash sound for a little longer then going through all of that again.
    using another install on different partition could be a good idea.
    thanks a lot for the advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

could someone else please try the suggestion i made. just wondering if it is just me it worked for.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by inthepit View Post
    could someone else please try the suggestion i made. just wondering if it is just me it worked for.
    Gave it a try, no help.

Beans

didn't work for me either.
    tried feisty to. didn't work.
    for now I'm using "media pirate" firefox extention and VLC player. it seems to do the job well.
    good luck

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by odzx View Post
    didn't work for me either.
    tried feisty to. didn't work.
    for now I'm using "media pirate" firefox extention and VLC player. it seems to do the job well.
    good luck
    Yeah, one of my friends really love VLC for everything.

I use totem-xine with the mozilla-plugins and libxine-extracodecs + realplayer + flash

He likes training VLC to everything, which is apparently possible. I am not sure that VLC will do all of the embedded flash stuff. Does anyone know if VLC will do embedded flash?

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast