Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: TIP: Improve bootup speed by reprofiling bootup

Beans

Re: TIP: Improve bootup speed by reprofiling bootup

Maybe you should update the original post, since readahead runs in foreground by default since Edgy.
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post
    Maybe you should update the original post, since readahead runs in foreground by default since Edgy.
    Default Edgy, default is foreground. If you're using Backports repositories, then it runs in background.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks for the tip Jdong.
    It really helped my bootup speed. It looks like the bonus hack made it into Edgy. when I went to do it, it was already done. Good work, thanks for making it clear enough for a newbie to follow.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

When I had edgy, profiling worked for me. Now with feisty, I put 'profile' in grub and it doesn't do anything different. I looked at my logs and nothing even shows up except for the messages that are passed to the kernel.

Beans

I recently "upgraded" (if you can call it that - I haven't been happy since) from Dapper to Edgy, then to Feisty. In moving from Dapper to Edgy, I noticed that my boot time was WAY longer. After reading this thread and trying a few things, I have settled on making readahead run in background. That dropped my boot time from 3:44 "HIDEOUS" to 1:51 merely "AWFUL."

I suspect that there are more problems yet to sort out for my pc, since I don't recall having to wait nearly two minutes for bootup when I was running Dapper, although I don't have any objective data to go on from that era. I do, after all, have a pretty decent pc.

My pc used to keep me better informed of what it was doing during bootup and shutdown, too, when I was running Dapper. Now, I get to stare at a black screen while I stew about how long things are taking.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moofhead View Post
    I suspect that there are more problems yet to sort out for my pc, since I don't recall having to wait nearly two minutes for bootup when I was running Dapper, although I don't have any objective data to go on from that era. I do, after all, have a pretty decent pc.

My pc used to keep me better informed of what it was doing during bootup and shutdown, too, when I was running Dapper.
    Just remove "quiet" or also "splash" from the boot parameters in grub, and you'll get start-up messages.

You can install bootchart to get objective time measurements on the boot-up process: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootCharting
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post
    Just remove "quiet" or also "splash" from the boot parameters in grub, and you'll get start-up messages.

You can install bootchart to get objective time measurements on the boot-up process: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootCharting
    Thanks, tormod. I have been using bootchart to track my progress as I try various things to reduce my boot time.

I have experimented with removing "quiet" and "splash" from the boot parameters as you recommended, with the following results:

Starting condition: quiet and splash - 1:50 boot time
    no quiet, no splash - 0:56
    quiet, no splash - 0:45
    splash, no quiet - 1:49
    no quiet, no splash (tried again, just for kicks) - 0:44

When I remove splash from the boot parameters, I can see startup and shutdown messages, which is what I wanted. I am uncertain, though, what removing quiet and/or splash do otherwise. It's nice to be able to boot faster, of course, but what are the consequences of removing quiet and/or splash?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moofhead View Post
    I am uncertain, though, what removing quiet and/or splash do otherwise. It's nice to be able to boot faster, of course, but what are the consequences of removing quiet and/or splash?
    splash and quiet should have absolutely no consequences (bar bugs) whether they're on or off. The slower booting with "splash" is just because the animation uses extra system resources during boot. I am surprised how much impact it had on your machine though. "quiet" is just a flag for the kernel and start-up scripts to be less verbose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quiet tells Ubuntu's boot scripts and also the Linux kernel to suppress all console output except direly urgent ones.

Splash enables the graphical bootsplash.

This bootsplash can be very CPU intensive on some computers, which yields a bad bootup time with it enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Very interesting. I'll be sure to test out those parameters myself. A fancy lookin' boot is nice, a quick boot is nicer!

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast