Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: TIP: Improve bootup speed by reprofiling bootup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: TIP: Improve bootup speed by reprofiling bootup

After I mentioned the results of this test to Scott James Remnant, Edgy's readahead program was changed in two ways:

(1) It's now done in the foreground
    (2) On each bootup, the list is dynamically resorted to match on-disk layout

So, this should mean that Edgy will boot faster without the need for reprofiling, unless of course you start a lot of services that are not part of the default Edgy system.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On my P3 laptop, profiling took it from 65s to 56s. Removing the --background thing didn't make a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Nice, thanks! The first hack shaved 3-4 seconds off my boot time, and the second one didn't apply, as --background had already been removed.

But good to know I'm now at maximum boot efficiency!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have authorized for Edgy's readahead-list to be backported to Dapper. This makes foreground the default mode of readahead, and also resorts the list on-the-fly on each bootup.

Enjoy!
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi jdong,
    first, thanks and nice idea. this seems to improve bootup time for me, too (didn't take any measurements yet).
    Just one thing I don't understand: why should I want to resort the list every time I boot? Normally, the standard boot files don't really change their places and resorting will surely cost some time - surely I'm missing something?

cheers, raph

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by raphha View Post
    Hi jdong,
    first, thanks and nice idea. this seems to improve bootup time for me, too (didn't take any measurements yet).
    Just one thing I don't understand: why should I want to resort the list every time I boot? Normally, the standard boot files don't really change their places and resorting will surely cost some time - surely I'm missing something?

cheers, raph
    (1) Resorting the boot list takes about 50 milliseconds to do on my Celeron M 1.4GHz. If you notice this, then you need to step away from the caffeine pills

(2) The resort-on-boot is primarily designed so that the default, unprofiled boot.list that ships with readahead-list would be more valid on more systems. They are generated on fresh-installed Ubuntu's using ubiquity, which might be vastly different than what your box may be.

(3) Resort-on-boot can help you out when system packages get dist-upgraded. When files are replaced, there's no guarantee that they remain in the same locations. Even security updates might replace some of these bootup files.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Had already profiled myself, but removing --background had a significant impact. Nice tip!
    Kubuntu 6.06

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For "power users" who can do a bit of tinkering, you can build your own readahead lists. Run "sudo readahead-watch -o /etc/readahead/myapp.list" to start readahead monitoring and write a list to /etc/readahead/myapp.list. Run "sudo killall readahead-watch" to stop monitoring after you're done.

Then, run " (sudo) readahead-list /etc/readahead/myapp.list" to prefetch myapp.list. Running without sudo just means the app won't resort before reading.

So, you can tinker with readaheading various lengthy tasks. I've had good success with readaheading GNOME/KDE startup (hint: have /etc/rc.local prefetch your list, so if you don't immediately login, readahead will prefetch your login sequence anyway) and openoffice (just created a /usr/local/bin wrapper script). With firefox, there was no improvement, presumably not enough disk IO to make a real impact.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for the how-to. What puzzles me in the Bonus hack is that "--background" was already removed even before i knew the file even existed on my box.

A picture is worth a thousand words. I didn't notice any performance gained by this how-to. Is it possible that anyone can glance at the boot chart and see where it's taking it's time?

Boot time before profile:

Boot time after profile:

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As I noted in post 36, dapper-backports now uses foreground as its default mode of operation.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast