Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dark Side of Windows Vista

Beans

Re: The Dark Side of Windows Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Maybe I'm reading the wrong article, but I don't see the outrage. In fact he says Vista is basically OK at the end.

Good article, though. Thurott FTW.
    Apart from being completly worthless, i guess it is ok.

Did he mention the security aspects and the implementation?

Did he mention how they used it far beyond what Linux has, and how Vista is a safer OS for the everyday user?

No, huh? You know why? Because it's like asking Saddam Hussein to write something on the US.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Dude, I saw the header and I totally thought the post was going to be about booting Windows Vista while playing the Pink Floyd albumn "Dark Side of the Moon". I heard there's some crazy coincidences during the boot up.

Beans

It's useless to resist. It is your destiny!

Beans

SoundMachine, you are talking in favor of TMP all over this forum right now (and not in the most polite way all the time). Do you have any sources to back up your stand-point? Links please

Regards,
    M7S

Beans

Even though that guy might be a serious Windows Vista fan, he did point out all the flaws. The one that i was interested in the most was the searching, where if the guy wanted to search a file in the same window a little bar with search and where you could type would show up. I then thought to myself---the linux Gui GNOME already has this!! Just shows how little innovation Microsoft has ^_^
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by SoundMachine View Post
    The bright side is that Vista is an OS that CAN rely on HW TPM to make it more secure than ANY other OS to date, that even includes my favourite OS OpenBSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundMachine View Post
    I have spent several hours educating people on TPM DRM and WGA and yet, the threads keep on coming.
    I can see some advantages to the Trusted Platform Module (BitLocker Drive Encryption certainly looks interesting, if a bit over-the-top for most home users).

But if I'm ever going to use one on my PC, I want two ironclad gurantees about it.

1) I get to know what it's doing, and have the option to say no at any time.

2) I get to control the module, and can make it do whatever I want it to (basically the proposed 'owner override' function) or turn it off entirely.

I don't trust Microsoft to give me either of these things. Hence, Vista is not going on any PC I should own and have control over.

I could go on for hours about trusted computing and the enormous potential it has for actually compromising your security, but I'm sure you've heard that before, so I'll stop here.

Beans

Originally posted by SoundMachine
    Apart from being completly worthless, i guess it is ok.

Did he mention the security aspects and the implementation?

Did he mention how they used it far beyond what Linux has, and how Vista is a safer OS for the everyday user?

No, huh? You know why? Because it's like asking Saddam Hussein to write something on the US.
    He's doing a series on Windows Vista, and this article was his treatment of Vista's bad features. Maybe he thinks the security is great, in which case it wouldn't fit into this article. Or maybe he's planning an entire article on security later, as it's an important issue and he's criticized MS for their bad security in the past.

But no, that's crazy talk. The real answer is obvious: Paul Thurott is in fact Saddam Hussein.
    Last edited by Yossarian; September 10th, 2006 at 05:32 PM.
    - Captain John Yossarian

Speak frankly, speak in French.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12