Page 1 of 234 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux vs. Vista

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Linux vs. Vista

Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007 are on the horizon, including new fancy graphic user interfaces... is Ubuntu Linux likely to survive against such strong competition?

John

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Windows Vista and Office 2007 on the Horizon... future of Ubuntu Linux?

Yes, of course. Every action has an opposite reaction, remember. Ubuntu will react with dignity.

P.S. I hate fancy user interfaces. I prefer simplicity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

speaking of fancy graphics... check this link out!

http://www.linuxsoft.cz/screenshot_img/53-a.jpg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dapperjohndoe
    Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007 are on the horizon, including new fancy graphic user interfaces... is Ubuntu Linux likely to survive against such strong competition?

John
    I don't really get why Vista should be a "competition" that will affect the "survival" of Ubuntu. I'd like to discuss this in factual detail rather than general terms such as these; if you have reasons why it should be, please state them and I'll voice my doubts about them if any.

For fancy interfaces check out Compiz, which is available today, rather than being "on the horizon" and delayed and delayed.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Windows and OX10 are nice but I like something that has more value and simplicity.
    Dual Boot Ubuntu and Windows XP | AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.10ghz| 2GB DDR | 320GB SATA | ATI Radeon X1200

Station17.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

John
    I can't see Ubuntu users suddenly deciding to fork out on MS products because of a fancy GUI. Vista is still windows, it still costs money, apart from eye candy not much appears to have changed.

I've seen no beta reviews or MS press releases to say it won't suffer the same things that XP does i.e. getting bogged down and requiring a reinstall every few months, daily virus/spyware/malware scans, time spent waiting for apps to load after boot etc.

Many people won't even upgrade from XP to Vista, never mind move from linux to Vista.

As for Office, OpenOffice offers more than most people ever need. Lets face it in the majority of homes, I suspect word is only used to write the odd letter and Excel to handle the monthly finances. Again it's down to fancy bells and whistles, most of which the average user would probably never use.
    Last edited by _simon_; May 30th, 2006 at 08:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

John
    Vista needs about 3 times the hardware resources than Ubuntu and that means a new box just to run Vista for a lot of folks. I think Vista will be very good for Ubuntu, an opportunity rather than a threat.
    My wiki page ... ATI 9.11 & Ubuntu 9.10 ... Time Capsule ... Ubuntu in 5 years!
    Brainstorm ideas ...Stop Blank Screen ... Gui Xorg Edit

Ubuntu is reinventing the wheel ... making it round.

Beans
    Hidden!

Off-topic: ProjectGod, the desktop looks awful! I hate black color.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Windows 95 and 98 required a "second edition" to fix all their problems. Windows 2000/ME only lasted 1 year before they were replaced with XP. WinXP had a lot of problems that had to be fixed with SP1. Why should Vista be any different? I would not even think about buying vista for 6-12 months after it is released. Hopefully, by then most of the inevitable problems will be fixed! (This is 'competiton' for Ubuntu??).
    Vista will require high end hadware to run smoothly. At least a 3GHz Pentium or equivalet AMD CPU, plus at least 1GB RAM (probably more loke 2 GB for gaming or multitasking, with all the eye candy).
    In contrast, you will probably be able to run Dapper on the same PC you have now!
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

BTW, my Microsoft wireless mouse actually tracks better in Ubuntu than in Win XP, even with the MS driver installed!! In windows it would frequently meander all over the place, so I stopped using it. In ubuntu it tracks perfectly. This is actually a decent wireless mouse. It just needed a better OS!
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Page 1 of 234 1231151101 ... LastLast