Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

Quote Originally Posted by pipik View Post
    ]but the system freezes when the nvsound module is loaded :/
    I hope you are not trying to load nvsound with pulseaudio. That will cause a complete system freeze.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Nvidia nForce SoundStorm APU: Digital output, Surround and Hardware mixing

many thanks for the how-to
    man i spent a long time trying to figure out what i did wrong at first, may i suggest changing the line "Running "gstreamer-properties" and "gnome-sound-properties" from a terminal and selecting oss in all menus will take care of many applications." to something more noticeable. maybe like
    Run the following from a terminal and select oss in all menus. This will take care of many applications.
    Code:
    gstreamer-properties
    gnome-sound-properties

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gilson585 View Post
    many thanks for the how-to
    man i spent a long time trying to figure out what i did wrong at first, may i suggest changing the line "Running "gstreamer-properties" and "gnome-sound-properties" from a terminal and selecting oss in all menus will take care of many applications." to something more noticeable. maybe like
    Run the following from a terminal and select oss in all menus. This will take care of many applications.
    Code:
    gstreamer-properties
    gnome-sound-properties
    Done that + added patches to fix breakage with kernel 2.6.30...

Beans

Hey jocko!

Still using soundtorm here! bt i know have kernel 2.6.28 but it seems there is no patch for it...? Do i miss something?

Help appriciated thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by eriktenburen View Post
    Hey jocko!

Still using soundtorm here! bt i know have kernel 2.6.28 but it seems there is no patch for it...? Do i miss something?

Help appriciated thanks!
    The patch for 2.6.28 is named "2.6.27-patch", because it works for both .27 and .28.
    Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    c) For kernel 2.6.27 (Intrepid) or 2.6.28 (Jaunty):
    Code:
    ./2.6.27-patch
    sudo ./nforce-installer

Beans

Thanks Jocko!

Did that yesterday but it wasn't working. But I got it up and running again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    Done that + added patches to fix breakage with kernel 2.6.30...
    Hey Jocko! Many many thanks for the patches! I have been able to figure out finally why the nvsound module wasn't loading for me with the newer kernels. It seems all the functions register_sound_* have been put under a
    Code:
    #ifdef CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE
    #endif
    statement. I hadn't noticed this earlier. In 2.6.30, I just enabled the Sound and then enabled OSS as modules (I had never enabled OSS earlier in <=2.6.27). This enabled the functions register_sound_* to be visible to nvsound and it promptly loaded
    Now, thanks to your patches, I am enjoying nvsound in 2.6.30

Beans

Wow, I haven't attempted to use Linux in quite some time and this was really helpful. Thanks!

Beans

When I try to play music with Rhythmbox I get this garbled mess. What could be causing that?

Beans

Deleted - fixed in another thread.
    Last edited by PhantomPholly; August 2nd, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast